So my son had told me several years ago that he never wanted a dog. This shocked us all, because he had been begging for a puppy for years. Why the sudden change of heart? He told me that after watching Beethoven, the Movie, he was not okay with a dog steeling his bacon! Clearly he loves bacon.
Fast forward several years, we now have a dog. But that dog is NOT getting any bacon. No one in our family will part with bacon! Can you blame us? That rich, salty, smokey flavor is just out of this world. I think it is safe to say we will take bacon in just about any form we can get our hands on–as a side, topping a dish, in a salad, even in cookies. An obsession? Well, maybe. But really, bacon has been known to even make vegans drool!
Today, I just want to share with you a simple trick that will transform bacon into a sweet and savory treat–Candied Maple Bacon.
With a few simple ingredients, your bacon will go from smokey and savory to smokey, savory, sweet, and a bit spicy. It will become your favorite breakfast side dish and will make your kids cry with joy with they see it hit the breakfast table–just keep it away from your furry friends or there will be tears, just not happy tears!
Now drool. Inhale. Let your taste buds swim as they are hit with rich sweetness and a bit of heat from smoked paprika and freshly ground pepper. It is perfectly crunchy and the addition of nuts add a bit more crunch and an extra layer of flavor. This bacon hits every level of deliciousness and is sure to become your favorite for Saturday morning pancakes, Cheesy egg bakes, brunch with friends, and of course brinner. YUM.
Candied Maple Bacon
- 1 12 ounce package Hickory Smoked Nitrte Free Bacon
- 1/4 cup pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped nut optional--I used walnuts, but pecans would be great
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil and lay a cooling rack over the foil.
Lay out bacon evenly on cooling rack.
Mix together spices with maple syrup and brush over each slice of bacon. Sprinkle with nuts if using.
Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until bacon is crisp.
And now for more incredible bacon recipes–because you can never have too many, can you?!
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.