Remember when I shared my blueberry pie bar recipe with you last week?
I stated that with those bars and my Papa’s baked beans, I was a happy girl.
However, I did make my husband his all time favorite burger to make him just as happy as myself. And truth be told, I was smiling on the inside when I bit into this burger and grateful for his request.
Before he sat down to eat, he said, “You better get a good picture of this–this is a recipe you definitely want to share.” So sweet and supportive. Well, at least for red meat 🙂
Trust me, his favorite burger may become your new favorite as well!
Start with a simple burger.
Be sure to use grass-fed beef for ultimate flavor and to obtain the maximum health benefits from the beef. I used 90/10 beef and added some olive oil to the meat for a bit more healthy fat–this keeps the burger moist and juicy. Add some salt and pepper, throw on a hot grill and you have a great start for a burger.
Then top this burger with perfectly crisp homemade fried onions and a bright and tangy sauce made with mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, and horseradish–yep, it takes it over the top.
Do you notice I did not use a whole wheat bun as I normally would? Not my choice. I made a last minute trip to the grocery store late morning on the 4th of July and I scored the LAST package of buns. Lucky me! I guess that teaches you the value of never shopping last minute close to a big holiday!!
Anyways, here is the recipe. And no matter what meat or buns you use, the sauce and the onions are the star ingredients that make this burger shine!!
Cheeseburgers with Crunchy Onions and Horseradish SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt or all Mayo
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 lb 90/10 ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons ground pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns
- Bring the oil to a boil. Add the onion slices and lower heat to medium. Stir the onions every minute or so for about 30 minutes, until onions are browned (watch closely--they can burn quickly). Drain on paper towel well and lightly salt.
- Mix together the lemon juice, mayo, yogurt, and horseradish together. Set aside to top completed burgers.
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Mix the meat lightly with the oil and salt and pepper until just combined. Form into 4 equal patties. Make an indentation in middle of each burger to ensure even cooking.
- Cook burgers for about 6 minutes per side. Turn grill off and add cheese to burgers. Also place buns on grill to lightly toast. Close grill and leave for 1 minute. Remove buns and burgers.
- Allow burgers to rest for at least 5 minutes and then assemble. Start by adding 1 tablespoon of sauce on bottom of each burger bun. Top with burger and 1/4th of the onions.