Cheesy Pretzel Dogs: An organic beef hot dog and sharp cheddar cheese are wrapped in homemade pretzel dough and baked to perfection. This hot dog beats any hot dog out there!
There is an occasion where I crave an all natural beef hot dog. Truth be told, it is not often but when I want one, I want one.
And since July is National Hot Dog Month, it is fitting that I have been getting the itch for a hot dog.
But I didn’t want a normal hot dog piled high with slaw and mustard (my typical favorite way to eat a dog), I wanted to try making a homemade pretzel dog.
Cheesy Pretzel Dog
Homemade Pretzel Dog surrounds an all beef hot dog and a thick slice of cheddar cheese. Baked to perfection, these pretzel dogs ooze with cheese and flavor.
How to Make Homemade Pretzel Dogs
Pretzel wrapped hot dogs are a great cooking project to involve your children in. My kids helped me make the pretzel dough, roll the pretzels around the dogs and of course they enjoyed eating them 🙂
Step One: Make the Pretzel Dough
Pretzel dough is just whole wheat flour, salt, yeast, and water–easy peasy!
Step Two: Roll Out Pretzel Dough
After the dough rose, divide into 8 equal balls and roll the dough out to about an 8 inch oval to fit the hot dog and cheese slice in the dough.
Step Three: Stuff the Pretzel with Hot dogs and Cheese
Step Four: Roll Up the Pretzel Dogs
- Pull the pretzel dough securely around the hot dog and cheese to close.
- Cut small diagonal slits across the dough to allow steam to escape during the cooking process.
Step Five: Parboil the Pretzels
Regular Dough turns into pretzels by being parboiled in boiling water with baking soda. It is as simple as dipping pretzels into the boiling water for just a minute and then removing with a slotted spoon to a baking sheet.
Step Six: Bake the Pretzel Dogs
Sprinkle the pretzel wrapped hot dogs with kosher salt and then bake to golden perfection.
Step Seven: Enjoy the Pretzel Dogs
Once baked, we were left with soft pretzels filled with salty, savory beef and ooey, gooey, cheese. Dipped into mustard, these babies were out of this world!!
Tips for Making Homemade Pretzel Dogs:
- Making homemade pretzel dough may sound intimidating–but it is really easier than you think. It is just bread dough that is pre-boiled in a baking soda water and then baked.
- I used whole wheat flour, but all-purpose works too. I have not tried this with gluten-free flour so I am not sure how that will react to the baking soda water.
- Use any variety of cheese you like. I prefer organic, nitrate-free beef hot dogs for flavor and quality, but your favorite is fine. Same goes for cheese–use what you like.
- When rolling the dough around the cheese and pretzels, be sure to do so securely.
- Cut slits on in your pretzel dogs on one side–and try to only expose the hot dog–not the cheese (so it won’t melt out when place in boiling water.) I roll up the dough around the hotdog and cheese and seal the dough around the side with the cheese (making that the bottom) and then put the slits on the top–opposite side of the cheese.
- Be sure to gently put the pretzel dog into the water and only leave in the mixture until just coated with water.
- I use kosher salt to top the pretzel dogs, but sea salt works as well. Table salt is not a wise choice as it won’t adhere well.
- My family only ate 4 pretzel dogs. We prepared the full 8, but once the 4 we didn’t eat had cooled, we sealed them in a freezer ziploc bag for storage in the freezer. When I served them again, I popped them out of freezer and baked for about 10 minutes at 375 to warm through.
More Kid Friendly Recipes
Pretzel Dog Recipe
Cheesy Pretzel Dogs
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- Water for boiling 4 cups
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- kosher salt
- 8 organic nitrate-free hot dogs
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese cut into 8 5 inch sticks
- Start with the pretzel dough. Combine the flour, salt and yeast with a dough hook on a kitchen stand mixer. Add the water in and allow the dough to come together, scraping the sides if necessary. Let the dough knead in the mixer on low for about 8 minutes, until smooth and shiny.
- Place dough in greased large mixing bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Once the dough had rose, preheat the oven to 450. Also bring 4 cups of water to a boil on the stove.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into about an 8 inch oval--to fit the hot dog. Place the hot dog and the cheese slice in the middle of each oval and bring the dough over the sides, securing the dough over the hot dog and cheese. Flip the dog, seam side down and cut about 4-5 small slits evenly spaced across the hot dog to allow steam to escape.
- Once the water has come to a boil, turn the stove off and stir in 1/4 cup baking soda into the water. Gently place each pretzel dog into the water bath, one at a time, just until coated with the mixture.
- Place the pretzel dogs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or well greased. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until dough is nicely golden brown.
- Dip into mustard if desired!!