This Banana Bread French Toast is a whole new way to look at French Toast! Banana bread is dipped in a vanilla custard and then breaded in granola and nuts, then pan fried in coconut oil. This Crispy Banana Bread French Toast is rich and decadent and will make you swoon!
After a day of baking recipes for the week, I found myself dreaming of french toast.
But not just any french toast, Banana Bread French Toast.
Banana Bread French Toast
Banana Bread is EVERYTHING you want in a decadent breakfast.
Thick sliced banana bread is dipped in a vanilla egg custard and then breaded in a mixture of chopped walnuts and homemade granola. The banana bread french toast is finished by being pan fried in coconut oil, only intensifying the decadence of this dish.
This Banana French Toast needs no accompaniments, but adding freshly sliced bananas and real maple syrup certainly doesn’t hurt!
How to Make Banana Bread French Toast
Step One: Make Egg Custard
- In shallow dish, whisk eggs with milk, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
Step Two: Prepare Breading for French Toast
- Mix together granola and nuts if using.
Step Three: Bread Banana Bread
- Dip banana bread into egg custard and then into granola.
Step Four: Pan Fry Banana Bread French Toast
- Melt coconut oil in nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Pan fry the banana bread french toast for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place banana bread french toast on baking sheet.
Step Five: Bake Banana Bread French Toast
- Finish cooking off the Banana Bread French Toast in the oven, so that the breading will not burn as the egg custard finishes cooking.
Notes on Banana Bread French Toast
- Feel free to use any banana bread and granola recipe you would like for this Banana Bread French Toast.
- I use coconut oil to pan fry the french toast, as my homemade granola recipe and banana bread recipe both use coconut oil as well (as do many store bought options) and so the flavors work well together. However, butter can be used in it’s place.
- I love to add walnuts or pecans to the granola, but feel free to leave the nuts out all together for allergies or if not just don’t make you want to get up and dance.
- This banana bread french toast is absolutely delicious when not breaded in the granola as well. Just dip the banana bread in the egg custard and pan fry, finish in oven as recipe directs.
More French Toast Recipes
- The Best French Toast Recipe
- Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup
- Eggnog French Toast Casserole with Bourbon Glaze
- Bananas Foster French Toast
Banana Bread French Toast
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Set up breading station for banana bread french toast. In one dish, mix eggs with milk, vanilla and salt. In second dish, combine granola and nuts if using.
- Melt coconut oil over medium heat in large skillet.
- Place each slice of banana bread in egg custard, then in granola mixture, pressing the granola mixture gently into the bread to adhere.
- Place in frying pan and fry for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place in oven for 10-15 minutes until bread is completely warmed through.
- Serve with fresh bananas and maple syrup as desired.