Smoked Mozzarella Chicken Roulade with Arugula Salad and Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette: Chicken need not be boring!! Smoked mozzarella is tucked inside chicken cutlets baked in rich broth, served over a bed of peppery arugula and drizzled with a sun dried tomato vinaigrette.
Do you ever go the grocery store, see an ingredient, and immediately recipes start popping in your head?
No, well I guess that is why you come hang with me, huh?!
Sometimes these culinary inspirations turn out to be masterpieces. Like that time I picked up a ripe mango and just knew it would go perfectly in Cilantro Lime Rice Bowls. Or that when I picked up fresh tomatoes at the farmer’s market and stuffed them with a tex-mex mixture.
Sometimes they do not turn out so well.
But I won’t share those with you. I will keep to myself the waffle recipe that set off fire alarms (too much banana in batter) or the “healthy” pizza dough that stuck to the pan so badly that we ended up just eating the toppings off the crust and a bit of ice cream. Yeah, so much for being healthy.
But the one I have up my sleeve to share with you today, well, it is worth sharing. It is a new recipe to jazz up chicken, cause we all need more chicken recipes.
Smoked Mozzarella Chicken Roulade with Arugula Salad & Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
This chicken is incredible!!
A bit smoky from the cheese, a bit sharp from being poached in wine and then brightened up with peppery arugula and tangy vinaigrette. The roulade tasted as though it absorbed the flavors in a quaint trattoria.
And while it is not a complicated recipe (the most complicated part is rolling up the chicken), it has the presence of a fancy dinner that you will be proud to serve up at any dinner party.
- Start by pounding out the chicken. If you want to skip this step, buy chicken cutlets. My best advice for pounding meat is to place chicken in large sealed storage bag with a tiny bit of water. Then get out a heavy skillet and pound out all your regressions from the day.
- Marinade the chicken. I leave the chicken in the bag that I pounded it out in, pour the marinade in the bag, reseal and place in large container in fridge overnight (to prevent any cross-contamination). This step is not necessary–just adds another dimension of flavor.
- Spread out cheese on the chicken and roll up. Secure with toothpicks. C
- Sear the chicken. Quickly sear the chicken on each side, remove from pan and pour in the ingredients for the cooking liquid. Feel free to sub out the white wine I use for chicken broth–it will still be great.
- Return the chicken back to the pan and bake. For perfectly moist chicken, I stick a digital thermometer in the thickest part of the roulade and set the temp to 165 degrees.
- Make the vinaigrette. This is as simple as getting out the blender.
- Serve the chicken over arugula and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
And then you arrive at perfection!
Notes on Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Salad:
- If you don’t want to pound your chicken thin, you can buy chicken cutlets, which are already thin.
- If you don’t want to secure your Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken with a toothpick, roast seam side down when you place in pan to sear. It won’t be perfect, but if you happen to find yourself without toothpicks–it works in a bind.
- Feel free to substitute the White Wine for Chicken stock.
- I love the contrast of Arugula in this salad, but any green will work
- For the Sun-Dried Tomato vinaigrette, you can use any mild vinegar you would like.
Be sure to check out all my Easy Healthy 30 Minute Family Meals!
A chicken breast is stuffed with mozzarella cheese and served on top of salad with a homemade sun-dried tomato dressing.
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thick (or use cutlets)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup white white
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 6 ounces fresh arugula
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella shredded
- For the Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Make the marinade for the chicken by combing 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, basil, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken and massage into the meat. Refrigerate for 4 hours up to overnight.
Make the Vinaigrette. Blend the tomatoes, oil and vinegar together until smooth. Add salt and pepper if needed.
Spread each chicken breast with the shredded cheese. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottom pan over medium-high. Add chicken and sear on each side (3 minutes per side.)
Once chicken is browned, remove from pan. Pour in the wine, broth, garlic cloves, and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan and insert a thermometer into the thickest part of one roulade.
Bake until thermometer reads. 165 degrees, about 15 minutes.
Place a roulade on a bed of arugula and drizzle with vinaigrette.
Unique Chicken Salad Recipes