Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats: A Marshmallow Free Rice Krispie Treat made with brown crisp rice peanut butter, and honey to create a clean version of a Rice Krispie treat. Topped with dark chocolate because chocolate and peanut butter are perfection together. Dairy-free; Gluten-free, Vegan.
One of my earliest memories of a sleep over at a friend’s house included making homemade rice krispie treats. I remember laughing and giggling and thinking we were so grown up that her mom let us make the classic no-bake treat all by ourselves.
And truly, to this day, I have a hard time resisting a soft rice krispie treat, just like I have a hard time passing up Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.
Put the two together and an IRRESISTIBLE treat is created.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat
You guys know I have a serious love for peanut butter already, with my Peanut Butter Banana Bars, Peanut Butter Banana Sushi, and even Peanut Butter Coffee. I also love to switch out overly processed food to make classic recipes a bit healthier. So it was a pretty obvious choice for me to lose the marshmallows in rice krispie treats and replace them with peanut butter and honey. The chocolate addition is just because, everything is better with chocolate, right?!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Brown Crisp Rice Cereal–this can be harder to find, so regular old crisp rice cereal works, you just lose the whole grains that brown rice cereal provides.
- Peanut Butter–use all natural, creamy style peanut butter. You can use regular peanut butter, but keep in mind that has added oils and often added sugars.
- Honey–I love the way honey and peanut butter pair together and the honey helps to sweeten these bars up naturally.
- Dark Chocolate–melted chocolate tops off these peanut butter rice krispie bars to take them over the top.
How to Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars
Step One: Measure out the peanut butter, honey, vanilla, and a pinch of salt and mix well.
Step Two: Measure the rice cereal and pour into the peanut butter mixture.
Step Three: Pat down the bars into a greased or parchment or wax paper lined pan.
Step Four: Melt some dark chocolate and pour over the bars. Resist until cooled!
Step 4: Allow bars to set up and cut into squares.
Step 5: Enjoy a peanut butter rice krispie bar or two.
Notes on Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars
- Store these peanut butter no bake bars in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Use dairy-free dark chocolate and maple syrup in place of the honey for Vegan Rice Krispie Treats.
- I like to use a leftover dark chocolate bar, chopped up to melt if I have it in place of chocolate chips.
- To Melt Chocolate in Microwave: Heat on medium high for about 1 minute to start with. Remove from microwave and stir. Repeat heating at shorter intervals, 20 to 30 seconds, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency.
- Be sure your crisp rice is certified gluten-free to make these Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups brown rice crisp cereal
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Cover an 8x8 pan with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Heat honey and peanut butter up for 30 seconds and then stir in vanilla and salt until smooth. Stir in cereal until just coated.
- Pour into prepared pan and gently flatten out.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted.
- Pour chocolate over cereal mixture and spread out with back of spoon.
- Allow to set up in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and cut into squares.