Exploring the uses of Coconut Oil both inside and outside the kitchen. From recipes, to household products, to beauty products, coconut oil has incredibly valuable uses.
Coconut oil has SO many uses both in and outside the kitchen.
While, I am do not believe Coconut Oil is a miracle product as some would claim, I do rely on coconut oil for recipes and household uses.
Recipes With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is naturally dairy-free, paleo, vegan, and keto friendly. It is high in MCT fats and has a rich, nutty flavor that it imparts to baked goods.
- Pumpkin Muffins My kids absolute favorite muffin! In fact I just made a batch yesterday, and my son said, Mom these need to be in our weekly rotation of snacks. He simply can’t get enough. One bite and you will see why this is true–the coconut oil makes these muffins so incredibly moist.
- Healthier Oatmeal Chocolate Bars You know the kind of cookie that demands a big glass of milk? Yep, that is this what these bars do as well. They also are easier on the waistline 😉
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Smoothie Coconut oil is my secret weapon in my smoothies. It is an easy to digest MCT fat that gives me energy and keeps me full for hours.
- No Bake Granola Bars You know that richness that store bought granola bars have that you can’t quite place? I found out their secret: COCONUT OIL. But typically they use hydrogenated coconut oil and are high in sugar. Skip those bars and make your own–much better tasting and better for you.
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes These sweet potatoes are like sweet potato casserole in individual servings. Irresistible.
- Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal This is what sold my mom on coconut oil. It is hands down her favorite breakfast ever. PS. She hates coconut and oatmeal….
- Sweet Potato Casserole Instead of 2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of sugar, I used a little bit of coconut oil for richness and natural sugars. It is still one of the first sides to disappear at Thanksgiving.
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins There is a secret sweetener in these muffins. Partnered with the coconut oil–these muffins are insanely delicious.
- Cranberry Walnut Bread This bread beats any bakery bread HANDS DOWN. The secret again is the coconut oil.
- Homemade Granola Remember what I said that rich flavor in granola bars comes from coconut oil? Same is true for granola.
- Movie Theater Style Popcorn Want to make your own popcorn that tastes as good as what you buy in the movie theater? Pop your kernels in coconut oil. I use 1 tablespoon for every 1/4 cup of kernels.
Household Uses for Coconut Oil
- Make-up Remover
- Every night I wipe my make-up off with coconut oil. No burning, no stinging, no watery eyes, no harsh chemicals that dry out my skin. It does sound too good to be true, but it is not!
- Diaper Rash Ointment
- Much like vaseline, coconut oil forms a barrier from your child’s bottom and moisture that collects in the diaper, preventing diaper rash. It also soothes a rash that is already present.
- There is NOTHING that soothes my dry skin (and I have very severe dry skin in the winter months.) I especially love to massage coconut oil onto my feet and hands right before bed.
- Deep Conditioning Treatment
- Same way coconut oil moisturizes my skin, it moisturizes my hair. I wash my hair, slather my hair with a bit of coconut oil and then rinse after a couple of minutes.
- A bit of coconut oil smoothed onto my daughter’s hair after a shower and bye-bye tangles and tears. Not to mention it keeps her hair smooth and silky.
- Lim Balm
- I have said it before, I will say it again–coconut oil is a great moisturizer. Hair, skin, and lips!
- Furniture Polish
- A bit of coconut oil on an old cotton cloth and polish your wood right up (or remove the dust from it while you make it shine!)
- Remove Gum from Hair
- Coconut oil has gotten gum out of my daughter’s hair twice now when peanut butter and ice did not work. Not to mention it is a lot less messy than peanut butter!
- Homemade Candles
- I love to place a bit of coconut oil in a diffuser with a drop or two of essential oils. Turn it on and my whole house smells amazing. With ZERO chemicals.
Bottom Line: Coconut oil is an unbeatable non-toxic product that’s uses are truly endless.