Add some Cajun flare to your dishes with this Homemade Cajun Seasoning. This recipe for Cajun Seasoning is a simple blend of spices that can be made in seconds and is a perfect replica of the store bought blend. It creates the perfect compliment to grilled chicken, pasta dishes, and rice and beans.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
Cajun Seasoning is a simple blend of spices that are are commonly used in southern cooking. The blend is made up of simple spices like garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper; but is given it’s signature kick with the addition of red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper.
I adore Cajun Seasoning. It adds a bit of heat, without being too hot, and some serious flavor to a variety of dishes. It is perfect to use to season meat, veggies, creamy sauces, and of course rice and beans.
There is no need to purchase a Cajun Seasoning blend from the store. They are often over-priced and filled with cornstarch, sugar, anti-caking agents, and are high in sodium. It only takes minutes to whip together a homemade version, and chances are you have every spice you need to make Cajun Seasoning in your pantry right now.
Not to mention you can guarantee that your Cajun spice blend is free from gluten, soy, nuts, eggs, and dairy–making it perfect for those suffering from food allergies.
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
It is as easy as measuring and mixing to prepare Homemade Cajun Seasoning.
But the best part about this DIY recipe? You can control the level of sodium and the level of heat and change up this recipe to suit your needs and tastes.
Like things spicy? Increase the cayenne pepper.
Like thing less spicy? Omit the cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
Watching sodium? This Cajun Seasoning Recipe already has less sodium than store-bought blends. However, to significantly reduce the sodium even further Either completely omit the salt from this Cajun Seasoning or cut in half to significantly reduce the sodium.
Spices in Cajun Seasoning
- Paprika–smoked paprika is highly recommended for an additional smoky flavor, regular paprika works we well.
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
How to Store Homemade Cajun Seasoning
Store this homemade spice blend in an air tight a seal-able jar or container. You want to make sure you store your spice seasoning in a sealed container so that it will not absorb flavors from other spices in your spice cabinet. I find that a small glass canning jar works great. I also love these little flip top spice jars.
Cajun seasoning will last up to 6 months, and while safe to consume after 6 months, it has the best flavor in that time frame. After 6 months, dried spices begin to lose their potency.
How to use Cajun Seasoning
Cajun seasoning can be used in just about any dish that you are looking for a savory kick of heat from vegetables, to eggs, to pasta dishes.
- Add to Creamy Cajun Pasta for a spicy twist on a simple alfredo sauce.
- Instant Pot Jambalaya gets it’s signature flavor from this Cajun blend.
- All good recipe for Southern Style Rice and Beans has cajun spices added in for flavor.
- Replace the salt in Sweet Potato Fries or Oven Fries with this Cajun Seasoning for a spicy kick of flavor.
- Add a teaspoon to breakfast hash for a spicy start to your day.
- Cajun blend also works well in stewed greens and as a rub for grilled meats.
More Homemade Spice Blends
- Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix
- DIY Seasoned Salt
- Dill Seasoning
Homeamde Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2½ tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.