The Importance of Eating as a Family: The benefits of eating meals together are incredible. Families that sit down to eat meals together are healthier, happier, and proven to be more successful in life.
Call me old-fashioned, but I make family dinner a priority at my house.
Despite hectic schedules, I make it part of our routine to sit down an eat meals together.
This precious time of eating together allows us to spend time together. By eating meals together, we get to know your family better and build relationships that will last a lifetime.
Eating Meals as a Family
It can be a bit overwhelming to think about eating meals every night of the week together, if you have not made it a practice to sit and eat as a family.
How do you start?
- First, put down ALL electronic devices at the dinner table (at home and at restaurants)
- Make eating together a priority. If schedules do not allow dinner every night, aim for at least 3 times a week or try to eat breakfast together.
- Subscribe to my weekly meal plan, to get a FREE menu for the week–one less thing to worry about!
- Keep it age appropriate: for small children only expect 15 minutes tops–start young and the time will increase with very little effort.
Eating together provides better nutrition
- Easy Family meals provide much more nutrients that kids need than quick meals eaten on the go.
- Dinners at home are typically lower in sugar and fat than convenience foods.
- Cooking together teaches children how to prepare food and gives them the courage to try new things.
- Children are less likely to be overweight since they learn to eat healthful meals.
- Teens are less likely to have eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia.
Eating family meals saves money
- Home-cooked meals are much less expensive than fast food meals or restaurants.
- It is easier and more cost-effective to make one family meal than for each family member to eat convenience foods.
Family meals teach valuable lessons
- Children learn table manners by sitting at the table with adults.
- Children learn the art of conversation by spending time eating and talking with family members at the table.
Eating together is enjoyable
- Children feel more loved and secure when they have time together as a family that they can talk about their days and hear about others.
- Family conversations at the dinner table are often full of laughter and inside jokes.
Favorite Family Meals
- Healthy 30 Minute Meals for Families
- Healthy Homemade Hamburger Helper Skillet
- Homemade Chicken Tenders
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
- Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese with Marinara Soup
- 3 Ingredient Taco Meat