Gazpacho Cucumber Bites: All the flavors of a traditional Spanish Gazpacho turned into a handheld bite, making this a perfect Tapas dish! #SundaySupper
I am a bit on the sad side today. Even a bit jealous. You see many of my friends are gathered together in Orlando for The Food and Wine Conference. A whole weekend with foodie friends, talking food, and more importantly, enjoy every bite of delicious, decadent food. And I am NOT there!! Now do you see why I am jealous?!
Through Sunday Supper, I have gained so many virtual friends. They are an amazing group of people and I am blessed to be a part of their lives. I was hoping to be able to meet them in person at The Food and Wine Conference, but it just wasn’t in the cards for me this year. My hope is next year.
So while my Sunday Supper Family is noshing on wine and appetizers, we are going overseas and partying Spanish style with Tapas!! Because truly what goes better with a Sangria and good friends than delicious tasty food that is perfectly bite-sized. So in my opinion, that just gives you the excuse to eat more!
When I think of Spanish food I think of romesco sauce, sangria, Manchego cheese, empanadas, olives and gazpacho. And I love all of these things. But I have been particularly craving Gazpacho lately. In part because the tomatoes at the Farmer’s Market are looking out of this world and because it is so hot, I wanted something cool and fresh.
But let’s be honest for a minute. I am a bit of a klutz. When it comes to nibbling on tapas, red soup and I do not mix! I do not want to have a Sangria in one hand and a red soup in the other–it is just a recipe for disaster and stains on my clothes in my life.
So I opted for a hand-held version of the soup–Cucumber Gazpacho Bites. All the fresh flavors of tomatoes, red peppers, Spanish onions, garlic, parsley, and cucumbers tossed together with sherry vinegar and good quality olive oil, forming almost a Gazpacho flavored Brucshetta. Then instead of a crostini, I kept the dish light and fresh and topped this “Gazpacho” on a English cucumber bias. Now this is the perfect Spanish tapas dish in my opinion!
Gazpacho Cucumber Bites
Cucumber is topped with freshly diced tomatoes and herbs.
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 pint grape tomatoes finely diced
- 1 large red pepper finely diced
- 1/2 Spanish onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
Finely dice 1/2 of one cucumber. Slice the remaining cucumber into 1/2 inch slices on the bias.
Add the diced cucumber to the tomatoes, red pepper, onion, garlic, vinegar, salt, olive oil, salt and parsley. Mix well.
At this point, I like to store the Gazpacho topping and the remaining sliced cucumber in the fridge until right before serving, up to 2 hours ahead of time.
To serve, spoon a bit of the Gazpacho mixture on top of each cucumber slice.
But you can never just have one tapas at a party, so be sure to check out the other fabulous recipes from my Sunday Supper Family!
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Deviled Eggs with Shrimp by Our Good Life
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Pancetta Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortilla de Camarones by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Orange Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricot Jam by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board