Grilled Vegetable Lasagna: Fresh zucchini is grilled up and layered with a ricotta cheese mixture and fresh tomatoes for a light and healthy version of zucchini lasagna that is perfect for summer.
This year the library’s Summer reading program along with encouraging reading, also challenged the kids to visit a farmer’s market for an extra prize.
And like just about every other child I know, my kids will do just about anything to receive an extra prize!
While visiting the farmer’s market is nothing new to them, they both took this visit a bit more seriously. My daughter discussed in length with me how to tell if an eggplant is ripe and my son wanted to choose some zucchini, in hopes that I would make Zucchini Bread and Zucchini Bread Pancakes.
My over zealous children picked out more fresh produce than we could possibly eat and therefore we were left that particular trip to the farmer’s market with an abundance of eggplant and zucchini. In my book, that is NEVER a bad thing.
But sometimes convincing kids to eat eggplant and zucchini can take some craftiness on my part. So I decided to sell it with cheese. Vegetable Lasagna to be exact.
Grilled Zucchini Lasagna
The smokiness of the grilled zucchini paired nicely with the fresh tang of the pesto and the ricotta gave this dish a rich, luxurious taste. My kids? They ate one serving. They didn’t rave about it but they didn’t gag either. For a dish so heavy on vegetables, I am satisfied with that. And the best part was that they wouldn’t fight me for the leftovers, which I helped myself to for lunch the next day.
How to Make Vegetable Lasagna without Noodles
Step One: Prepare the Vegetable Noodles
- Slice up the zucchini into thin, long slices.
- Toss the vegetables with pesto and then lightly grilled them to achieve a smokey depth of flavor to the veggies. You can skip the grilling of the veggies, but it really takes the dish up a notch.
Step Two: Make the Lasagna Filling
Mix up the ricotta cheese, shredded cheese, herbs and an egg. Set to the side.
Step Three: Prepare the Zucchini Lasagna
- Spread some tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 casserole pan.
- Lay a single layer of grilled vegetables over the tomato sauce.
- Top the vegetables with half of the ricotta mixture.
- Repeat another layer of the vegetable noodles.
- Top the vegetables with remaining filling.
- Top the filling with the remaining grilled zucchini.
- Spread with tomato sauce
- Top with fresh tomato slices and fresh mozzarella cheese
Step Four: Bake the the Vegetable Lasagna
Bake this Zucchini Lasagna until the cheese is browned and the lasagna is warmed through.
Notes on Vegetable Lasagna
- This noodle-less lasagna is a great gluten-free or low carb option for anyone out there who wants to enjoy lasagna.
- You do not have to grill the zucchini before making this Zucchini Lasagna. If not grilling, sprinkle slices lightly with salt; set aside to drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- You do not need to limit yourself to just zucchini for this Vegetable Lasagna. You can use yellow squash, eggplant, peppers, etc. Just be sure to grill until tender before baking.
- If you do not want to use ricotta cheese, you can substitute cottage cheese that has been drained well over a colander.
More Zucchini Recipes
- Skinny Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes
- Veggie Packed Quinoa Burgers
- Summer Vegetable Saute
Low Carb Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
Grilled Vegetable Lasagna
- 3-4 large zucchini sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large tomato sliced thin.
- 1 cup homemade tomato sauce or your favorite jarred brand
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Prehea grill to medium heat. Also preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Brush the zucchini slices with the pesto (Or olive oil and salt and pepper) on both sides. Grill for 2 minutes per side and remove.
- Mix together the ricotta, eggs, shredded mozzarella, salt, oregano, and nutmeg.
- Ladle 1/2 cup tomato sauce on bottom of 9x13 dish. Lay down a layer of zucchini. Top with 1/2 the ricotta mixture and top with the zucchini slices. Top with the remaining ricotta mixture, followed by the final layer of veggies.
- Top with the remaining tomato sauce. Lay the tomato and fresh mozzarella slices over the top and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 15 minutes.
- Let sit 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.