We are getting to the meat of college football season. The games are getting intense and the stress level in this household is peaking on Saturdays as our team fights for a spot in the play-offs. Nerves are on edge–the kids know to keep quiet during key plays and not point out the obvious–like when our team is losing! Ha! I love it and I hate it all at once!
For me nerves are soothed and football season is made worth it because great food inevitably comes with the games. Creamy dips, crunchy chips, and chilis are some of my game time favorites. Taco Dip, Buckeye Dip, Chicken Chili are some of my go-tos for football watching.
I also love sliders and sandwiches to serve at Football parties. They are the perfect hand-help food.
Nothing beats good sandwich. There is just something about biting into a perfectly crafted sandwich that is balanced with sweet and savory, creamy and crunchy. Sometimes sandwiches can be underrated as ho-hum–but when done correctly–nothing is farther from the truth.
Take this Honey Mustard Pork Sandwich with Brussel Sprout Slaw. The pork is warm and a bit sweet from the honey and tangy from the mustard. It is piled on a soft roll and then finished off with my Brussel Sprout Salad with Apples (AKA Brussel sprout slaw.) The slaw is cool and crunchy and sharp in flavor and pairs perfectly with the soft roll and warm, succulent pork.
Honey Mustard Pork Sandwiches with Brussel Sprouts Slaw
The best part about this sandwich? It can be made with only 10 minutes preparation and in advance. Which as you football fans know, you do not want to be in the kitchen during the big games!
So grab some napkins, a slider or two, and park yourselves on the couch and let the games begin! Or just enjoy the sandwich for dinner, lunch, or non-football related party 🙂
Notes on Honey Mustard Pork Sliders with Brussel Sprout Slaw
- Sometimes I cheat complete, and make these Sandwiches with leftover Apple Pork Roast and the brussel sprout slaw. It is a PERFECT combo as well.
- You can make this Honey Mustard Pork in the Instant Pot as well–place all ingredients for pork into Instant Pot and set for high pressure for 50 minutes.
- If you don’t have apple juice, use cider, hard cider, stock or water.
- If you don’t want to try the Brussel Sprout Slaw, use regular slaw. But seriously the Apple Brussel Sprout Slaw is SO good!
Honey Mustard Pork Sandwiches with Brussel Sprout Slaw
- For the Pork:
- 2 pounds pork loin roast trimmed of fat
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons deli mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 recipe for Shredded Brussel Sprout Salad with Apples
- 8 soft rolls
Place the pork in the slow cooker with the apple juice, water, garlic and mustard. Pour over pork and cook for 8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high. Shred with 2 forks. Add in the mustard and honey and stir into the meat.
Place a scoop of pork onto a roll and top with Brussel Salad.
Nutriton facts are based on pork. Buns and slaw is not included.
More Fantastic Pork Meals: