Everything you love about traditional lasagna, baked into single serving Lasagna Cupcakes. These Lasagna Cups are a super fun way to eat classic lasagna in bite size form and are perfect for parties.
Growing up, lasagna was ALWAYS my birthday meal of choice.
I loved the layers of rich ricotta, gooey cheese, homemade marinara sauce and pasta!
And now, I have turned our love for lasagna into perfect party fair and something my kids beg to have packed in their lunches: Lasagna Cupcakes.
Mini Lasagna Cups
Wonton cups are filled with a classic ricotta mixture, salty and spicy Italian sausage, marinara, and cheese, and then baked up into a hand-held version of lasagna.
These Bite Sized Lasagna Cups are fun, tasty,freezer-friendly, and perfectly portable.
How to Make Lasagna Cupcakes
First, grease a standard muffin cup tin.
Add in two wonton wrappers, overlapping layers slightly.
Next, prepare your ricotta mixture, by mixing ricotta cheese with an egg, cheese and herbs.
Fill each wonton cup with the ricotta mixture.
Top each mini lasagna with bit of your favorite Italian sausage, ground meat, or even veggies.
Cover with a tablespoon or two of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of Italian Cheeses.
Bake these Italian Appetizers to golden perfection.
Preparing Italian Appetizer for a Party
These mini Lasagna Cups are PERFECT for parties and entertaining.
To prepare in advance:
- Bake as directed.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Freeze on cookie sheet for 30 minutes.
- Place each muffin into a freezer safe container or bag and seal tightly.
- Freeze up to 3 months.
- To thaw, place in refrigerator night before serving or heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees until warmed through (about 10-15 minutes)
Tips on Mini Lasagna Cupcakes
- Instead of wonton wrappers, you can use your favorite pizza dough recipe.
- Roll out to thin layer and place in greased muffin tin. Follow remaining steps for lasagna bites. You may need to increase baking time by 5-10 minutes.
- Let your imagination be your guide when it comes to filling your lasagna cups–use sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, or even just extra cheese.
- I usually suggest that you can swap cottage cheese for ricotta cheese in lasagna, but this is one lasagna recipe that cottage cheese will not work–it will make wonton wrappers soggy.
- You can find wonton wrappers in the produce section of your grocery store (typically by mushrooms, soy products)
- I recommend using a silicone muffin pan as it makes it much easier to remove your lasagna bites from the muffin liner.
More Appetizers for Entertaining
- Bacon Wrapped Dates
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce
- Spicy Sausage Cups
- Mini Shrimp and Grits Appetizer Bites
- Classic Bruschetta from Oh Sweet Basil
Lasagna Bites Recipe
- 1 package wonton wrappers
For the Ricotta Filling
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
For the Toppings
- 1/2 pound ground chicken Italian sausage or your favorite ground meat
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese grated
- For the ricotta filling: Mix together the egg, herbs, and cheeses until just combined.
- To assemble the muffins:
- Grease 18 cup muffin pan.
- Overlap 2 wonton wrappers in each muffin to cover the bottom and sides of muffin pan.
- Fill each dough cup with about 1 1/2 tablespoons ricotta mixture.
- Top with a couple teaspoons of the cooked sausage, 1 tablespoon marinara sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until ricotta mixture is set up and cheese is browned.
- Cool on cooling rack for 15 minutes and then carefully remove each Lasagna Cupcake from each liner. Allow to cool completely or serve warm.
TO MAKE THIS ITALIAN APPETIZER YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!