This Vegan Chocolate Mousse is a rich, chocolate avocado mousse that is made without any dairy or eggs! The avocado gives this vegan chocolate mousse it’s rich, luxurious taste, while keeping it dairy free.
What is it about chocolate and peppermint that pair so beautifully with coffee?
I typically find myself welcoming in the Holiday Season with a Peppermint Mocha in hand to fuel one of my many Christmas shopping trips.
It just feels festive! And tastes delicious! Not to mention the caffeine gives me the fuel I need to endure the Christmas crowds.
So in the spirit of the Holidays, I thought I would celebrate with a healthy indulgence that did not come from my favorite barista. I decided to celebrate one of my favorite Holiday flavors in mousse form–Peppermint Mocha Mousse–made with a surprise ingredient that keeps this mousse dairy-free!
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
Let’s talk about this vegan mousse. Are you ready for what it is made with?
The first time I heard that avocado can be used as a base for mousse, I shut my brain down. I really thought it was someone trying to sell me on something that was disguised with sugar and labeled “healthy” while still tasting horrible–I fell for using cauliflower in my banana bread once–AND NEVER WILL REPEAT!!
I promise you, the thought of Avocado Mousse sounds crazy, but it works! Kid tested and approved!
Think about it, avocados are fairly mild in taste. They are also creamy and rich. And using avocados for mousse work because they are light, fluffy and easily absorb the chocolate and peppermint flavors added to this vegan mousse.
How to Make Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Melt Chocolate
- Place chocolate chunks/chips into glass bowl and microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until all chocolate is melted.
- Be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips if you want to keep this Vegan.
- Dissolve Espresso Powder and Sugar
- Dissolve espresso powder and sugar in hot water. This keeps the avocado mousse smooth.
- Espresso powder is key to helping enrich the chocolate flavor of this avocado mousse.
- Blend Mousse
- Place avocado, dissolved sugar and espresso mixture, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate in blender or small food processor.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
- If your blender is not having an easy time getting your mousse perfectly smooth, use a hand mixer or finishing mashing with a fork.
- Chill the Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- It is VERY important to chill this mousse before eating. You want to give the flavors time to get acquainted before diving in!
- Top with Crushed Candy Canes (optional)
- I love chocolate and peppermint together, so I like to top this mousse with crushed candy canes for a take on a Peppermint Mocha.
More Vegan Desserts
- Vegan Cheesecake from Minimalist Baker
- Blueberry Chia Pudding
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Allergy Free Oatmeal Cookies
Chocolate Avocado Mousse Recipe
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 1 large very ripe avocado
- 2/3 cup chopped dark chocolate dairy-free if needed
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- crushed candy canes optional
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate and microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute until the chocolate has melted.
- Dissolve the sugar and espresso powder in the hot water.
- Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a blender.
- Add the melted chocolate, vanilla extract, and dissolved sugar and espresso to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve avocado chocolate mousse topped with crushed candy canes if desired.
TO MAKE AVOCADO MOUSSE, YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!