Peppermint Mocha Scones: Traditional scones get a holiday latte inspired make-over. These tender scones are packed with rich cocoa, subtle coffee flavor, and just a hint of peppermint. Finished off with a white chocolate glaze and crushed candy canes.My sister has an obsession with Peppermint Mochas at the holidays. I have an obsession with cooking shows. These two worlds collided when we were watching Holiday Baking Championship on food network together over Thanksgiving.
The ingredient the cooks were given was peppermint. As soon as we saw one of cooks start making peppermint scones, my sister and I looked at each other and she said You MUST make me peppermint chocolate scones! And I said Not just Peppermint Chocolate Scones, but Peppermint Mocha Scones. And my sister squealed.
I appreciated the squeal, but once these scones came out of the oven, I knew she needed to award me Sister of the Year. These scones were flaky and rich in chocolate flavor with just a hint of coffee in the background. They were perfectly highlighted with subtle peppermint flavors. But being the INCREDIBLE sister I am, I didn’t stop with the scones, I drizzled melted white chocolate and crushed candy canes on them, making them perfectly sweet. Oh, I am a good sister.
These scones make a great afternoon treat with a warm cup of coffee. And yes, a special treat indeed. A special treat for my special sister. And now a special treat for YOU!
Peppermint Mocha Scones
- 1 and 2/3 cups whole white wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, grated and cold
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- For the Topping:
- 1 ounce white chocolate melted
- 2 candy canes crushed
- Grate butter on box grater and put into freezer until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Using your food processor, or pastry hand mixer, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Pulse or mix in the butter just until the butter is dispersed evenly through the flour and pea size.
- Mix together the egg, milk, coffee powder, and peppermint extract. Add into flour mixture. Mix until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and pat into 8 inch diameter circle. Cut into 8 wedges and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes.
- Remove scones from oven and cool slightly.
- Crush candy canes into a powder.
- Melt white chocolate over double boiler or in microwave, stirring after 30 second intervals.
- Drizzle chocolate over scones and then sprinkle with candy cane dust.