It is about that time again–SCHOOL IS IN SESSION (or about to be in session, based on your location.)
And like most parents, I can dread this time of year. While I thrive on routine and schedules, I don’t look forward to earlier mornings, homework, and less time with my kids. I also have to pack lunches–EVERY SINGLE DAY!
It is so important to me that I pack a lunch that is filled with food my children will eat and will sustain them with the nutrients and energy they need to power through the day. AKA: It needs to be healthy but tasty!
Are you in the same predicament? Well, let me help you!
Today I am sharing one of my favorite healthy food hacks to get your children to eat the fruit you pack in their lunches. Salted Caramel Dip. Um yeah, you may be eating fruit by the quart once you try this dip out yourself.
Most parents would agree that if you give a child a dip they love, be it ketchup or ranch dressing, they are much more likely to eat that veggie or piece of meat. I know that my kids personally get excited when they have a homemade veggie dip for their carrots. And I LOVE when they get excited about veggies.
If you give a child a sweet dip for lets say fruit, well–you are guaranteed to put a smile on their faces and get more fruit into their bellies!
Better yet is when you can sneak some nutrition into the dip as well. And that is what I am delivering today: a dip that is filled with:
- Protein for energy
- Calcium for growing bones
- Healthy Fats which helps a person absorb the vitamins from the fruit.
And this dip is EASY (no cooking your own caramel sauce here–we are just replicating the caramel flavor!) Total Win-Win!!
So grab some fresh fruit like bananas, grapes, kiwi, or strawberries. Or better yet–try this dip out with Crispy Green Freeze Dried Apples–the perfect vessel for scooping up this creamy dip. It works just as well as a spoon and delivers you all the nutrition of a fresh apple!
Salted Caramel Yogurt Dip & Power Your Lunchbox Pledge
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts chopped (optional)
Mix together the yogurt, sugar, vanilla, and sea salt. Place into 4 serving containers and top with the roasted peanuts.
If you are like me, you WANT your child to eat healthy. You know how important it is to their physical and mental well being. So join me now through September 18 and pledge to Power your Lunchbox!!
What is the Power Your Lunchbox Pledge? This pledge encourages parents to pack healthy lunchboxes using products from sponsoring produce companies, while supporting children’s hunger relief efforts. For every online pledge, lunchbox-friendly companies supporting Power Your Lunchbox Pledge will make a collective $1 donation to Feeding America® children’s programs such as Kids Café, Backpack program and Child Hunger Corps.
Here are three ways families and individuals can get involved in the campaign:
- Take the pledge. Pledge to pack a healthier lunchbox at PowerYourLunchbox.com. Companies supporting the program will make a donation for every pledge taken. Donations will support children’s programs through Feeding America.
- Show off healthy lunchboxes on social media. Produce for Kids’ Instagram and Twitter followers can use the #PowerYourLunchbox hashtag to show off their healthy lunchboxes to be automatically entered to win weekly prizes and have their lunchboxes featured on the Produce for Kids Facebook page. Prizes include Bentology boxes, grocery store gift cards and more.
- Party with Produce for Kids on Twitter. Parents looking for even more tips and resources for healthy lunchboxes are invited to join Produce for Kids and partner companies at the #PowerYourLunchbox Twitter party at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, August 12.
Let me tell you from personal experience the Bentologly boxes are fabulous! They give you plenty of space and compartments to keep your fresh fruits and veggies separate from your dips–and we all know, most kids don’t want their ranch dressing on their grapes!
Bottom Line: You are helping to not only feed YOUR children well, but also helping those in need. What could be better?!
And follow me on instagram, where every lunch I pack for my children will be posted to help give you more suggestions for quick and healthy lunches that will help you meet your commitment to #PowerYourLunchbox