Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce #SundaySupper: A thick, juicy cheeseburger is topped with crunchy fried onions and a tangy horseradish sauce.
I have shared a version of this recipe before. I am not going to link to it, because I am embarrassed by the pictures. But when it comes to taste–there is NOTHING to be ashamed of when it comes to this burger! And they are hands down my husband’s all time favorite–even more so than a restaurant burger.
These burgers are a mouthful to say: Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce. But I promise you they are also a mouthful to make any carnivore sing your praises!
I will warn you that you will be begged over and over to make these burgers again and again. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but this recipe does take a bit more hands on work then the majority of my recipes. To achieve the perfectly crispy onions, it can take up to 30 minutes of gentle frying. And I could tell you to skip the onions, but DON’T! They truly make the burger sing. And for the once in awhile treat, like say Father’s Day, I would say the extra effort and the extra calories are SO worth it.
Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce #SundaySupper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt or all Mayo
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons ground pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns
Bring the oil to a boil. Add the onion slices and lower heat to medium. Stir the onions every minute or so for about 30 minutes, until onions are browned (watch closely--they can burn quickly). Drain on paper towel well and lightly salt.
Mix together the lemon juice, mayo, yogurt, and horseradish together. Set aside to top completed burgers.
Heat grill to medium-high.
Mix the meat lightly with the oil and salt and pepper until just combined. Form into 4 equal patties. Make an indentation in middle of each burger to ensure even cooking.
Are you looking for other recipes that will be guaranteed to woo the taste buds of the dads in your life? Check out these great recipes from my #SundaySupper family. I am pretty sure my husband and my dad would be happy with any of them!
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
Condiments & Sauces:
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee
Plus What Dad Really Wants for Father’s Day from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.