Slow Cooker Minestrone with Broccoli Rabe A warming, hearty soup that simmers all day in the slow cooker, welcoming you home from a long day!
There is a great debate that goes on with my family over soups.
During the Christmas holiday, when there are over 20 people and 5 dogs crammed into my parents house (crazy, but so fun!!), we make soup. Because it is easy, cheap, filling, and most importantly warms us up in the freezing Ohio weather.
But there of course has to be more than one soup. Because people get picky.
Oh that is another story. A long story.
So what do we do? We make Broccoli Cheese Soup and Minestrone.
Okay, here is where my pickiness is going to show–I love Minestrone Soup just about anyway I can get my hands on it. So while I love my Mom’s and choose it over the Broccoli Cheese Soup, I really prefer mine. Sorry mom!!
My Mom’s is a chicken stock base and filled with cabbage. Mine is a tomato base soup finished with Broccoli Rabe or spinach.
And if you think you would like my Mom’s version, you probably would. However, how can you go wrong with a soup that you throw in the slow cooker? My mom’s has to be cooked on the stove.
So I am sharing with you my favorite version of Minestrone. One I have adapted for all 4 picky eaters at my house, so that we all lick the bowl clean and ask for seconds, or thirds……
A few notes (about my family’s quirky food issues):
- I use tomato puree instead of diced tomatoes. My son HATES chunks of tomatoes in his soup.
- I use onion powder instead of diced onions. My daughter will pick out any onion bits she sees with a frown!
- I ONLY sometimes not add carrots/green beans/zucchini to my soup–the kids HATE them cooked (no complaints from this mom–they eat them raw with a vengeance, even the green beans.)
- I use kidney beans because those are what my husband likes.
So you get the idea–make the changes YOU need to for YOUR picky eaters!
So plug-in the slow cooker and be prepared to be warmed from your mouth to your toes!
Slow Cooker Minestrone with Brocolli Rabe
- 1 28 oz can tomato puree
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup red wine optional
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow noodles
- 2 cups fresh broccoli rabe chopped or spinach leaves
- Parmesan cheese for serving
Place tomato puree, wine, stock, water, beans, and spices into slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
Turn the slow cooker to high. Add the pasta and greens and cook for 20-30 minutes until pasta tender.
Serve with a generous grating of Parmesan.
*Add up to 1 cup frozen green greens, 1 small diced zucchini, and 1 chopped carrot (I did for this time around, usually I leave out for kiddos!
For this recipe I recommend: