Mongolian Chicken couldn't be easier to make when prepared in the crock-pot. This Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is made with a naturally sweetened rich and spicy sauce and fresh vegetables for a delicious family meal.
I am a bit obsessed with Mongolian Chicken. It has always been one of my favorite meals to order from Chinese restaurants, but it happens to be pretty simple to make at home--especially with this hands-off Slow Cooker version.
The dish is made with tender pieces of chicken or beef and vegetables that are enveloped in a slightly sweet, slightly spicy, rich sauce. It is spicy enough to wake you your palate but sweet enough that even the kids LOVE the Mongolian Sauce.
- Chicken: Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Mongolian Sauce: Mongolian sauce is made with soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic, ginger, and a sweetener. I use pineapple juice as my sweetener. I find it pairs perfectly with the soy sauce and garlic. Plus, it lets me use less added sugars, keeping this Mongolian Chicken lighter than what would be served at a Chinese restaurant.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is needed to help thicken up the Mongolian sauce.
- Vegetables: It is optional, but I love to add vegetables into the crock-pot for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Fresh sugar snap peas, snow peas, or broccoli florets are all great options. My kids would prefer I serve steamed veggies on the side though--so do what works best for your family!
How to Make Mongolian Chicken in the Slow Cooker
Step One: Prepare Chicken
- Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
- Place in a Ziploc plastic bag and add cornstarch.
- Toss to coat the chicken in the cornstarch.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
Step Two: Prepare Mongolian Sauce
- Whisk together pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes together.
- Pour over chicken in crock-pot.
Step Three: Slow Cook Mongolian Chicken
- Cook on low for 5 hours and 30 minutes.
- Cook on high for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Step Four: Add in Veggies
- Add fresh vegetables into the slow cooker and toss to coat.
- Turn Slow Cooker to HIGH, if not already, and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Step Five: Serve
- Serve with steamed rice, Instant Pot Brown Rice, Pineapple Rice, or Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with hot sauce if desired.
More Homemade Chinese Recipes
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Easy 30 Minute Orange Chicken
- Stir-Fried Chicken and Bok Choy
- Easy Homemade Ramen
- Easy Vegetable Fried Rice
Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅓ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce like Sriracha
- 1 pound fresh vegetables snow peas, broccoli florets, or sugar snap peas
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch chunks. Place in a freezer bag and place the cornstarch into the bag and toss to coat the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and shake off the excess cornstarch.
- Mix the soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey, garlic, ginger, hot sauce, and chili flakes togther. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 5 hours and 30 minutes, or cook on high for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Add fresh vegetables (if using) into the slow cooker and toss to coat. Turn Slow Cooker to HIGH, if not already, and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- Use gluten-free soy sauce to keep this dish gluten-free.
- The vegetables are completely optional. Be sure to add in fresh vegetables, frozen vegetables will get soggy. If you only have frozen vegetables, steam them and then tossed in sauce immediately before serving.