Vegetable Nuggets: Spinach and zucchini are baked into vegetable tots, guaranteed to get your kids excited about eating veggies!
You know those cookbook where chefs sneak veggies into cakes? Yeah, that is NOT me!
And I really don’t think you should be sneaking veggies into cakes either.
Unless you are talking about something like carrot cake or zucchini bread, vegetables do not belong in cake. Nor should you be sneaking your veggies into sugary treats as a means to get your child to eat healthier. That kind of defeats the purpose.
It can be overwhelming to get your child to eat their fair share of vegetables. But recipes like these Kid Friendly Spinach Tots work wonders.
Crispy nuggets are baked into a crispy veggie-packed tot that is perfect for dipping–which doesn’t every child just LOVE to dip into ketchup or ranch dressing?
How to Make Homemade Vegetable Tots
Step One: Make the Vegetable Nugget Mixture
The spinach nuggets start with simple ingredients–defrosted chopped spinach, shredded zucchini, whole wheat panko bread crumbs, egg, cheese, and cottage cheese.
Not only does the cottage cheese add flavor and keep these baked vegetable tots fluffy and full of flavor, it adds protein and calcium as well.
Step Two: Form the Vegetable Nuggets
These cheesy vegetable nuggets then are formed into 1 inch ovals–to mimic a tater-tot shape.
Step Three: Bake the Spinach Nuggets
Bake the zucchini and spinach nuggets until brown and crispy.
Notes on Zucchini Spinach Nuggets
- I have tried to make these vegetable nuggets with just spinach, but the flavor of spinach really overpowered the nugget. While I enjoyed them, my kids did not care for them as much as when I used both zucchini and spinach together.
- Be sure to drain your zucchini really well before adding to your food processor. This will help your nugget set up and get crispy in the oven.
- If you need these to be gluten-free, just use gluten-free bread crumbs and the nuggets will still turn out perfectly.
More Kid Friendly Vegetable Recipes
- Hidden Veggie Quesadillas
- Mac and Cheese Muffins
- Southwestern Veggie Tostadas
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes
- Easy Bean Burritos with Hidden Veggies
Spinach Nugget Recipe
A crispy baked veggie nugget made with spinach. These spinach tots are a great way for kids to enjoy vegetables.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach defrosted, and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini well drained
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumb
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet with a thin layer of oil or line with parchment paper.
Be sure zucchini (if using) and spinach have been drained well. I do this by squeezing out liquid in an old kitchen towel or cheese cloth.
In food processor, combine all ingredient.
Scoop about 1 tablespoon of mix and gently press between your hands into a ball then shape into a tater-tot shape.
Place on your prepared baking sheet.
Bake until golden brown and crispy, 18-24 minutes, turning half way.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.