Strawberry Ginger Sorbet: a refreshing, dairy-free alternative to homemade ice cream.
Today I am so excited to welcome Marshie from Motion Mom as a guest blogger. Marshie is an Exercise Scientist, Nutritionist and mother of one beautiful little girl. She believes that a healthy, happy life are attainable and wants to help as many people as possible get there. She’s dedicated her blog and her life to helping people find their path to health and happiness.
Growing up, I remember my mom would buy strawberries at the store and I would eat them before they even made it home. We’d go to the strawberry fields and spend hours picking strawberries at the “pick-your-own” farms, where I ate my weight in berries and then some. I’m planning on replicating these beautiful memories for my little girl, Charlie.
Ice Cream Blues
As much as I adore ice cream and sorbet, the sad truth is, they aren’t all created equal. So many of the store bought versions are full of junk like:
- added sugar (or worse corn syrup)
- fats and hydrogenated oils
- artificial flavors
- artificial colors
Simple and Natural
This beauty is made with just 3, that’s right, 3 ingredients, and you will love all of them! Strawberries, ginger and a little bit of apple juice are the only things you need to make this delicious warm weather treat for the family.
- Anti-carcinogen – Ginger is full of powerful antioxidants that have been shown to protect against free-radicals and prevent cancer cells from growing and multiplying
- Anti-inflammatory Properties – In some studies it has shown it can be as effective as ibuprofen in pain and swelling relief!
- Anti-nausea – This is probably the most widely known benefit of ginger. If you are a mom, you probably guzzled down ginger ales regularly to combat your “morning” sickness (I like to call it “all the time sickness”). In some studies, ginger was more effective than dramamine in fighting motion sickness!
Strawberry Ginger Sorbet
Fresh strawberries and a touch of ginger are the base of this creamy, vegan, summer sorbet.
- 12 ounces frozen organic strawberries
- 3 fresh organic strawberries hulled
- 1 tablespoon ginger root peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup organic apple juice
Place all ingredients into the blender or food processor and blend until well incorporated. If using a blender, you may need to push the ingredients down to the middle a couple times and blend again. Serve right away.
You can make this and serve it right away (yum!) or you can add an extra 3/4 cup of apple juice and use popsicle molds to make a frozen treat for later! We made extra and made these adorable tiny pops for Charlie! Perfectly toddler sized!
Or you can do what my husband, Brandon, and I decided was the best idea, and pop a bottle of champagne and make floats!
This was definitely the best idea we had all day! You can make kid-friendly versions with ginger ale if you are feeling extra inclusive!
The possibilities are endless, so why not just make a quadruple batch and try them all! Definitely worth it.