Baked Sweet Potato Nachos with Avocado Cilantro Cream : Spiced, baked sweet potato chips become the base for healthy nachos. These homemade sweet potato nachos are topped with black beans, cheese and a healthy drizzle of avocado cilantro cream that is to die for. Gluten Free. Vegetarian.
To me football equals food. Sure I care about a good game now and then, but when you get right down to it, I am in it for the food.
And while a lot of game day recipes are high in fat and calories, I am have turned standard nachos into a Healthy Recipe. Yes, HEALTHY nachos.
Sweet Potato Nachos
I love nachos. My husband loves nachos. My kids love nachos.
Crunchy chips smothered with cheese–what is NOT to love?!
Maybe the calories. Maybe the grease. Maybe the fat.
Or maybe you don’t care about any of that and you just want to experience this creative version of sweet potato nachos that are CRAZY good.
I am so glad I came up with these healthy nachos to devour during our last marathon of college football games (and hey–if the game didn’t go my way, at least I knew I would enjoy what I was eating!!)
The flavor combo alone should convince you to try Sweet Potato Nachos. Sweet potatoes, black beans, sharp cheese, and a tangy cilantro sauce to boot–just perfection!
Healthy Sweet Potato Nachos
Why are these Nachos Healthy?
- Instead of chips, baked sweet potato rounds are the base of this nacho recipe. These Sweet Potato Chips are low in fat, baked not fried and full of vitamin A and fiber.
- Black beans are a healthy, low-fat source of protein and fiber.
- Avocado Cilantro Cream is a healthy fats from avocados and an extra boost of protein and calcium from the Greek yogurt that is also in this “cream.”
How to make homemade Sweet Potato Chips
- Use a mandolin to slice sweet potatoes into thin, uniform slices.
- A food processor works just as well when fitted with the slicing blade.
- Toss the sweet potato chips with a bit of oil and taco seasoning.
- Bake at 425 degrees until tender and a bit crispy, flipping sweet potatoes half-way through.
Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- Blend an avocado with fresh lime juice, cilantro, Greek yogurt and salt.
Making Sweet Potato Nachos
- Once sweet potato chips are crisp, remove from oven.
- Top with black beans.
- Add cheese if desired and return to oven to melt cheese.
- Serve with avocado cream sauce.
These Easy Sweet Potato Nachos are my kind of food: simple, healthy, and flavorful. And it is finger food which makes it that much more fun!
Notes on Homemade Healthy Nachos
- If you are looking for crispy sweet potato chips, increase the baking time by 10 minutes per side. I like the homemade chips to still have a bit of give, leaving the sweet potato rounds to be soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside, but if you want the chips to be more sturdy, bake longer.
- I love black beans and therefore chose to top the sweet potato chips with them–but you can certainly use ground beef, shredded chicken or pinto beans.
- If you don’t like cilantro, omit it from the avocado cream, or top these homemade nachos with sour cream and diced avocado instead.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Low Carb Sweet Pepper Nachos from All Day I Dream About Food
- The Most Amazing Taco Dip
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Lightened Up Easy Hot Corn Dip
Sweet Potato Nachos with Avocado Cilantro Cream (Gluten-Free)
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon each of paprika salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 15 oz can of black beans rinsed (or 2 cups of pre-cooked beans)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Sweet Potato Chips:
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice the sweet potato into 1/8 inch slices using a food processor or mandoline.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the oil and spices and spread into a thin layer on a large rimmed sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes and flip. Bake for another 10 minutes, until edges are beginning to curl up and get crispy.
- Remove from oven and top with beans and cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted--about 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Avocado Cilantro Cream. Blend the avocado, yogurt, cilantro, juice and zest of a lime, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Once nachos are out of the oven, dollop as desired with the cream.