Tortellini en Brodo is a delicious broth bowl made with cheese tortellini in a rich broth flavored with garlic and thyme. This simple broth bowl recipe is elevated with fresh tomatoes, spinach and topped with a crunchy mixture of toasted bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Have you ever heard of Tortellini en Brodo?
It simply means tortellini served in broth.
This easy tortellini recipe is a bit different than Tortellini Soup, in that heavier on the tortellini and lighter on the amount of liquid.
And Tortellini in Brodo is one of my ALL time favorite recipes.
Tortellini en Brodo
Tortellini en Brodo is a traditionally served as a first course for Northern Italy Christmas Feasts.
But why limit this cheese tortellini recipe to just the holidays?!
This easy broth bowl recipe is perfect for a light dinner, hearty lunch, and is so full of incredible rich flavor that it also makes a great dish to entertain with.
This simple tortellini dish sings with flavor from a rich and light broth created with dry wine, chicken stock, and garlic. Grape tomatoes and spinach add freshness to this dish and the cheese tortellini provides heartiness and creamy luxury. And do not leave off the bread crumb topping–it adds just the right amount of crunch this dish calls for.
How to Make Tortellini in Brodo
Prepare Cheese Tortellini
- Boil Cheese Tortellini in salted, boiling water according to package directions.
- It is important to not boil tortellini in broth, as it will change the way volume and flavor of the rich broth that makes this dish spectacular.
- While tortellini is cooking, prepare the rich broth for this dish.
- Bring the chicken stock, wine, 1 spring of thyme and garlic to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in juice of fresh lemon juice at end of cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add bread crumbs and remaining sprig of thyme leaves, chopped up.
- Toast until crumbs are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
Serve Tortellini en Brodo
- Evenly divide spinach and tomatoes and tortellini between 4 bowls.
- Ladle broth over each bowl.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture of each bowl.
- Finish with freshly grated Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tips on Warm Tortellini Spinach Salad
- In case you are serving picky kids–give them the cheese tortellini plain, but enjoy yours dressed up a bit.
- If you don’t have vegetable stock, use chicken stock–just remember this dish will not be vegetarian.
- Cherry Tomatoes can be used in place of grape tomatoes
- For dry wine, I really like to use Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay.
- The fresh lemon juice is key here. If you don’t have fresh lemons, do not substitute jarred lemon juice. Just omit completely.
- If you don’t have fresh thyme, use 1 teaspoon dry thyme.
More Favorite Tortellini Recipes:
- 4 Ingredient Tortellini Soup
- Italian Tortellini Salad from Valerie’s Kitchen
- Pizza Tortellini Salad from Crazy for Crust
Tortellini Broth Bowl Recipe
Tortellini en Brodo
Cheese tortellini is cooked in a rich broth made from herbs, garlic and wine. Served over spinach, tomatoes and then topped with a crunchy gremolata.
- 1 16 ounce package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 5 ounce package fresh spinach
- 1 pint heirloom grape tomatoes, sliced in quarters
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional stock
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for serving
Prepare the tortellini according to package directions.
While tortellini is cooking, bring the chicken stock, wine, 1 spring of thyme and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in juice of fresh lemon juice at end of cooking.
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and remaining sprig of thyme--leaves chopped up. Toast until crumbs are golden brown, bout 2-3 minutes.
To serve: Evenly divide spinach and tomatoes and tortellini between 4 bowls. Ladle broth over each bowl. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture of each bowl and finish with freshly grated Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.