Tortellini and Kale Soup: A dinner that comes together in no time with pantry and freezer staples.
This post has been updated check it out here.
Tortellini and Kale Soup
- 2 cups chicken stock--canned or use my homemade recipe
- 4 cups tomato sauce--or spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes--optional but highly recommended
- 2 teaspoons dried garlic or 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen whole grain cheese tortellini or any tortellini you have on hand
- 2 cups frozen kale
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese--optional
Bring the chicken stock, tomatoes, and seasonings to a boil. (Or use spaghetti sauce in place of tomatoes and omit seasonings, since the sauce is already seasoned.)
Drop in tortellini and kale and cook according to package directions. For me, this was 10 minutes.
Top with freshly grated cheese.
*If time permits, allow the stock to simmer with added seasonings for up to 1 hour. I think even an extra 20 minutes helps intensify the flavors. And then bring back up to a boil to cook pasta and kale.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Combine all ingredients, but tortellini, kale, and cheese in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Turn to high and add in the tortellini and kale. Cook for 30 minutes and serve.