An easy recipe for Carrot Soup made with a surprising ingredient that adds rich depth and flavor to this easy vegan soup. Peanuts and peanut oil help transform this Carrot Soup into a soup to remember.
I have to be honest in saying that carrot soup was not a soup that was on my radar until a trip I took to Hope and Harmony Peanut Farm in Virginia.
I mean, I had heard of Carrot Soup, but it was not something I was eager to make or order out.
However, I fell in love with Carrot Soup on my trip to Virginia.
Carrot Soup was on the menu the day I visited the farm. And while I was not excited about that upon hearing the menu, after one bite I was hooked.
After eating the luscious, creamy, yet dairy free Carrot Soup, I had the opportunity to talk with the chef. He shared with me that the carrot soup was just carrots, onions, garlic sauteed with peanut oil and then simmered with water and seasonings. So simple, yet so perfect.
The secret to this Heavenly Carrot Soup is the peanut oil. It adds so much flavor and depth to an otherwise simple soup.
I have decided to recreate this heavenly soup, because after one bite, I knew Carrot Soup can truly be something spectacular when prepared correctly.
How to Make Carrot Soup
Step One: Saute Vegetables
- In large heavy bottomed skillet, heat peanut oil over medium high heat.
- Add in carrots and onions.
- Saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes, being careful to not let garlic burn.
Step Two: Simmer Carrot Soup
- Once vegetables have been sauteed, add in water and spices.
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock can be used in place of water, but this is one time that water is best, as it lets the flavors of the peanut oil carry through.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
Step Three: Blend Carrot Soup
- Once the soup has simmered and the vegetables have softened, remove bay leaves.
- Using an immersion blender, blend this soup to a creamy consistency.
- Feel free to use a blender instead, but be very careful to let steam escape from blender so that hot liquid does not splatter over your kitchen.
This soup is so rich and luxurious tasting, you will never believe it is not full of butter and/or cream. Just simple vegetables.
Serve Carrot Soup
- You can serve this carrot soup as is and it will be phenomenal.
- Or top it with some spiced peanuts and freshly chopped cilantro for a truly spectacular presentation and flavor.
More Carrot Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Glazed Carrots from Hey Grill Hey
- Turmeric Roasted Carrots from The Mediterranean Dish
- Carrot Cucumber Asian Slaw from The Fed Up Foodie
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- Maple Glazed Carrots
- Carrot and Raisin Salad
- Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Carrot Cake Cheesecake
Carrot Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanut oil
- 3 pounds carrots peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large onion diced into 1 inch chunks
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt more to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprkia
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup spiced peanuts optional
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro optional
- Heat peanut oil large heavy-bottomed sauce-pan over medium-high heat. Add in carrots, onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until peanut oil is fragrant and vegetables are beginning to brown.
- Add in water, bay leaves, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 25-30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Puree the soup using an emersion blender or regular blender. If using a regular blender, work in batches and be careful to let steam escape.
- Top with chopped cilantro and toasted peanuts.