This recipe for Pumpkin Enchiladas is incredibly simple, economical, and wholesome. The pumpkin adds a surprising earthiness to these enchiladas!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
- 2 cups refried beans (or 1 (15 ounce) can
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 8 (7-8 inch) tortillas wheat, corn, gluten-free--your favorite
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese optional
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco optional
- Favorite toppings such as lettuce, onions, avocados, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream Greek yogurt, etc
Heat oven to 400. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick pray and place in oven for 10 minutes while oven is preheating.
Mix together the pumpkin, refried beans, and taco seasoning until well combined.
Top each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of the bean mixture and roll up, placing seam side down carefully (the pan is hot) in your prepared casserole dish.
Pour the enchilada sauce over the tortillas and then sprinkle with cheese if using.
Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned.
Top with any toppings you desire. I prefer lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, and Greek yogurt or serve as is.
- If you don't have pumpkin puree, you can use sweet potato puree or carrot puree.
- I love refried pinto beans in these enchiladas because the beans mix perfectly with the pumpkin--however, you can use whole beans, or even refried black beans (it just won't be a pretty color for the mixture--be warned if you have leary eaters!)
- You can use any tortillas you like here--gluten-free, corn, whole wheat, etc.
- To keep these Pumpkin Enchiladas vegan, omit topping the enchiladas with cheese.
- I use a preheated dish because it helps keep the enchiladas from getting soggy when baked. That is the same reason why I don't pour enchilada sauce into the bottom of my dish. If you prefer really soft enchiladas, you can skip preheating your dish and add 1/2 cup additional enchilada sauce on the bottom of your dish before adding in the enchiladas.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 549mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 2.7mg