Instant Pot Carnitas
An easy recipe for shredded Mexican pork made in the pressure cooker. These Instant Pot Carnitas are full of flavor and can be made in a fraction of the time.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Pressure Release20 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- 1 tablespoon oil optional
- 1 3-4 pound pork roast shoulder or butt is preferred
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chicken stock or light beer
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- tortillas, shredded cheese (cheddar or queso fresco), shredded cabbage
OPTIONAL: Turn your instant pot to saute and add in oil. Season pork roast liberally with the kosher salt. When Instant Pot reads "Hot," add pork loin to instant pot and sear until browned on each side. (Skip if you are in a time crunch or using a frozen pork roast.)
Mix together orange juice, stock, cumin, oregano and garlic powder and pour over pork loin.
Seal pressure cooker and be sure vent is pointing to "sealed." Set pressure to high and cook for 20 minutes per pound (60 minutes for 3 pounds or 80 minutes for 4 pounds.)
Once cook time has elapsed, let pressure release naturally.
Shred pork with 2 forks or kitchen mixer (stand or hand-held mixer both work.)
If you want to crisp the edges of the shredded pork, place meat on rimmed sheet pan with 1/2 cup cooking liquid and broil under high heat for 3-5 minutes per side.
Serve Mexican pork with tortillas and shredded cheese, over rice, or over baked potatoes.
- For Pork Loin Roast: If using pork loin instead of pork butt or shoulder, you may find it is a bit tougher to shred after cooking. To ease the process, cut your pork loin in 2 inch chunks BEFORE cooking. Follow directions as stated, but cook for 20 minutes on high pressure. You can omit to keep your pork loin whole and cook for 20 minutes per pound, but you may find that your pork loin roast will need to be sliced verses shredding easily.
- For FROZEN pork roast: Do NOT sear the meat, omit the oil, and add 10 minutes to cooking time per pound (30 minutes per pound.)
Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 472mg | Potassium: 498mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 45IU | Vitamin C: 10.3mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg