Instant Pot Refried Beans
The easiest, tastiest recipe for homemade refried beans made right in the Instant Pot.
Prep Time2 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Pressure Release30 mins
Total Time52 mins
- 1 pound dried pinto beans 2 cup of pinto beans
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1 jalapeno seeded and de-stemmed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar optional
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
Rinse dried beans and remove any rocks or broken beans.
Place rinsed beans in inner pot. Add in stock, water, onion, jalapeno, garlic cloves, vinegar, chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Close Instant Pot and be sure valve is turned to "seal." Set to cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. Hit manual or pressure cook and use +/- buttons to adjust cook time to 50 minutes.
Once cook time has elapsed, allow pressure to release naturally for at least 15 minutes.
Remove lid drain beans over a large mixing bowl, to reserve cooking liquid. Discard jalapeno, then return beans, onions, and garlic to inner pot or blender. Add in 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Blend with an immersion blender or food processor, adding 1/2 cup of the reserved liquid at a time until beans are smooth and the desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust seasoning/salt if needed.
- If you are using taco seasoning, wait until AFTER beans have cooked. Use only 1/2 tablespoon of prepared homemade taco seasoning and adjust to add in more if needed.
- For Instant Pot Black Beans, use only 6 cups liquid and 40 minutes cook time.
Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 6g | Sodium: 350mg | Potassium: 391mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1.9mg