Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Your favorite Chinese take-out is made healthier at home in less than 30 minutes with tender flank steak and a restaurant quality sweet and savory sauce.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time13 mins
- 1 tablespoon oil optional.
- 1 pound flank steak cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Prepare you flank steak by slicing against the grain into very thin strips (about 1/4-1/2 inch thick).
If you want to sear your meat, turn your Instant Pot to saute. Once it reads "HOT," add in 1/2 -1 tablespoon oil and let heat for 1 minute. Add in beef and saute until JUST browned. About 2 minutes.
Mix together the soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey and seasonings and add to Instant Pot.
Put lid on Instant Pot and turn vent knob to the sealed position.
Hit manual (you will have to first turn the Instant Pot OFF from Saute function) and then adjust the cook time by using the plus or minus buttons to 3 minutes.
After cook time has elapsed, let rest 5-10 minutes and then do a quick release.
Turn Instant Pot back to saute. Make a cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water until fully combined. Add cornstarch slurry to pressure cooker and stir and boil for 2-3 minutes.
Turn off instant pot and serve Mongolian Beef with rice, cauliflower rice and top with scallions or sesame seeds if desired.
- It is NOT necessary to sear your meat first. Instead, put flank steak with soy sauce, honey, pineapple juice, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in Instant Pot and cook on high for 8 minutes. Follow instructions for adding cornstarch slurry as written.
- If you do not want to use honey, brown sugar can be substituted.
- Pineapple juice is a great way to add sweetness to the dish naturally to cut back on the amount of added sugar.
- If your flank steak is frozen in strips, increase cook time to 10 minutes.
- Adjust amount of red pepper flakes based upon how much spice you like.
To cook rice while cooking the beef, follow these steps:
- Saute the beef as directed. Add in all the ingredients for the Mongolian Sauce.
- Insert a rack in the Instant Pot (right over the Mongolian Beef Mixture).
- Place a 7 cup oven safe dish on top of the rack and put in 1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice and 1 1/2 cup water (or stock).
- Close the instant pot and turn valve to sealed. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Let pressure release for 10 minutes and then open the Instant Pot.
- Remove the rice and rack from the inner pot and proceed with thickening the Mongolian Beef with the cornstarch slurry as the recipe directs.
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 519mg | Potassium: 331mg | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1.7mg