Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
An easy recipe for Salsa Verde Chicken. This delicious instant pot recipe for Mexican shredded chicken breasts is perfect to use in salads, tacos, enchiladas, or wraps!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or pineapple juice
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime juiced (optional)
Turn your Instant Pot to the Saute function and let heat up. Add in a bit of olive oil and then add in your onions. Saute lightly and then add in the garlic. Saute another minute longer.
Pour in the chicken stock, salsa verde, and honey into the instant pot and scrape the bottom of the instant pot, being sure remove any browned bits of onions or garlic from bottom of the pan.
Submerge the chicken breasts into the liquid, season with salt and secure the lid on the pressure cooker.
To make salsa verde chicken with fresh Chicken: Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes for small (6 ounce) chicken breasts, 8 minutes for large (8-10 ounce) chicken breasts.
To make salsa verde chicken with frozen Chicken Breasts: Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes for small (6 ounce) chicken breasts, 12 minutes for large (8-10 ounce) chicken breasts.
Once cook time has elapsed, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. You can do a quick release after 5 minutes, but I find that after 10 minutes the chicken will shred easier.
Shred the chicken right in the salsa verde liquid to keep these chicken breasts moist and juicy.
Mix in the juice of a fresh lime to brighten this Instant Pot Salsa Chicken.
- I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but boneless, skinless chicken thighs will work the same (with no change in timing.)
- Because this is Salsa Verde Chicken, you want to use the BEST Salsa Verde. I prefer homemade, but a good quality jarred salsa will work as well.
- If you need this shredded chicken recipe to be Paleo, omit the honey and add in another sweetener of your choice, like maple syrup. You need that bit of sweetness to balance this recipe.
- If you use pineapple juice, you can omit the honey, as the pineapple juice will provide the sweetness Salsa Verde Chicken needs.
- If you have leftover Salsa Verde Chicken, freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge and use as desired.
- To reheat Frozen Salsa Verde Chicken, remove frozen chicken from freezer bag or container (you may need to run under hot water before you can remove from bar or container). Place in Instant Pot on saute function for 5 minutes, breaking up lightly. Close Instant Pot lid and turn Instant Pot to high pressure for 5 -8 minutes to reheat meat perfectly.
Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 335mg | Potassium: 501mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.4mg