Easy Homemade Lasagna
This Easy Homemade Lasagna may not be traditional, but it is still delicious! Made with cottage cheese, a simple meat sauce, and lots of cheese, this lasagna recipe is a family favorite.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef or Italian Sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt omit if using Italian Sausage
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano divided
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 cups homemade tomato sauce or your favorite store brand
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese divided
Brush a 9x13 pan with olive oil.
Mix together tomato sauce with 1 cup water.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in meat and begin to brown. Add in 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon oregano and brown fully. Turn off heat and drain off any excess grease on meat and return to skillet. Add in spaghetti sauce and 1 cup of water and mix well.
Mix the cottage cheese with parsley, minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, remaining 1 teaspoon dried oregano, egg, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese until well combined.
Spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan. Lay 4 noodles down. Evenly top with 1/2 the cottage cheese mixture and then spread out 1 cup of sauce over the cottage cheese mixture. Lay 4 more noodles down and the spread with the remaining cottage cheese mixture evenly over the noodles. Top with 1 cup sauce and 4 more noodles. Pour the remaining sauce over the noodles and top with the shredded mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continuing baking for 15 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes or so, before devouring!!
- Lasagna can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days after baking or frozen after baking for up to 3 months.
- To make a Meatless Lasagna, omit the meat or use your favorite veggie crumble.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of cheese to your family's liking. Often times I will omit the Parmesan from the cottage cheese filling and everything is still delicious.
- If you prefer, use ricotta cheese in place of cottage cheese.
- Want to take a short-cut? Skip the step of browning meat, use sliced pepperoni in the layers of the lasagna in place of ground meat being added to the sauce. The pepperoni will add a hearty, meaty taste--minus the work!
- You do NOT need no-boil noodles for this recipe. You can use them if you have them on hand, but regular or whole wheat lasagna noodles work perfectly for this recipe. (If using Gluten-Free lasagna noodles, you must pre-boil, as they release too much starch and would cause this lasagna to be watery and have an off putting flavor.)
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 152mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 168mg | Iron: 1.8mg