An impressive, yet easy, recipe for homemade Chicken Marsala that rivals any restaurant out there. Pair this Chicken Marsala recipe with roasted asparagus, and you have an show-stopping, delicious meal.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Soaking Mushrooms30 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 oz wild dried mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 pound of chicken cutlets or chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small shallot finely minced
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme removed from stem and chopped--about 2 teaspoons
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Submerge the mushrooms in 1 1/2 cups hot water for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. (Do not discard the liquid).
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
Dredge the chicken cutlets into flour that has been seasoned with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Shake off excess flour.
Sear the chicken on each side for 3-4 minutes, until browned.
Remove the chicken from the skillet.
Add butter to skillet. Once butter is melted, add in shallot and saute for 2-3 minutes until beginning to soften, but not browned.
Add the Marsala wine to the skillet and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, while scraping off the browned bits of chicken.
Add the mushrooms, stock from the hydrated mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, seared chicken and thyme. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove 2 tablespoons cooking liquid and whisk in cornstarch with the liquid. Whisk cornstarch mixture back into pan along with butter (if using). Stir until sauce is thickened, 2-3 minutes.
Serve the chicken with the Marsala Sauce.
- Use additional olive oil in place of butter to keep this dairy free.
- Use 1:1 Gluten Free Flour Blend to keep make Gluten Free Chicken Marsala.
- If you can not find chicken cutlets, use boneless skinless chicken breasts instead. Slice large breasts in half lengthwise and then place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a gallon size bag with a tablespoon of water. Seal bag and pound chicken breasts thin with meat mallet, or bottom of a heavy pan.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 485mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1.2mg