Wine and Mustard Braised Chili
A hearty chili made with beef, beans, red wine and mustard.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 10 mins
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 onion diced
- 6 cloves of garlic whole
- 1 dried ancho chili omit if you can't find it or if you don't like heat
- 2 cups dry red wine like a cabernet or merlot
- 1 28 ounce can tomato puree
- 1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups red beans rinsed and drained or dried and prepared at home
- 1 tablespoon chili seasoning
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
Over medium heat, brown meat with onion. Once meat is browned, drain fat.
Add in red wine and deglaze pan. Let simmer for 5 minutes, for alcohol to evaporate.
Add remaining ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low and simmer for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Before serving, fish out the dried pepper and discard.
I leave the garlic cloves in the chili because at this point they are tender and sweet.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 245mg | Potassium: 1124mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 18.7mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 6.4mg