Southwest Chicken Salad
Made with crisp romaine, corn, avocado, tomatoes, peppers, cheese, tortillas, grilled chicken and topped with a creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing, this Southwest Salad is packed with incredible flavor!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
For the Southwest Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 12 ounces total
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup black beans cooked (or canned--rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn defrosted
- 1 large tomato diced, or 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup mini peppers sliced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- tortilla chips optional
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 3 limes zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno minced (optional)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon honey
For the Chicken
Preheat grill to medium high or preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Season chicken evenly with taco seasoning.
Grill or broil chicken for 6-7 minutes per side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Or bake for 15-18 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Remove chicken from grill and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes, before slicing into 1/2 inch cubes.
For the Southwest Salad
In a large salad bowl or platter, lay out the chopped romaine. Top with the beans, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cheese, and avocado. Top with chicken, tortilla chips if using, and the cilantro lime dressing.
- Make this Southwest Salad meatless, by adding more beans and omitting the chicken.
- Use any beans you like--black beans, pinto beans, or red beans all pair well in this southwest style salad.
- If you don't like the cilantro lime dressing, make homemade ranch dressing and add 1-2 teaspoons of homemade taco seasoning for a Homemade Southwest Ranch Dressing.
- You can use leftover Rotisserie Chicken or 3 Ingredient Taco Meat for an even easier version of this Southwest salad as well.
- For a dairy free southwest salad, omit the cheese.
- And feel free to add more corn, omit tomatoes, add onions, etc. Make this recipe work for your family and their preferences.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 710mg | Potassium: 934mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 7160IU | Vitamin C: 21.3mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2.5mg