The BEST Cut-Out Cookie Recipe
This recipe produces the most perfect Cut Out Cookie. These Cut Out Sugar Cookies bake up soft, are full of flavor, and the dough holds it shape while baking. They are delicious plain, hold up perfectly to decorating, can be made ahead, and even freeze well. This truly is the BEST Sugar Cookie recipe!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time6 mins
Total Time12 hrs 36 mins
Servings: 60 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar for rolling
In a large mixing bowl (or your stand mixer), beat together butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy. Add eggs, one at time with mixer running on low. Turn mixer up to medium and beat until well combined for about 2-3 minutes. Add extracts as mixer is going.
Combine dry ingredients and slowly add to butter mixture, beating on low until just combined.
Place about 1 cup dough mixture onto parchment paper or wax paper that has been dusted with powdered sugar and cover with an additional sheet of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and place in sealed storage bag or large covered container.
Repeat until all dough has been rolled out.
Place the rolled dough into the refrigerator, sealed well, for 12 hours or overnight. (If you are not planning on using all the dough right away, freeze in well sealed storage bags in freezer.)
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400.
Lightly dust cookie cutters with powdered sugar and cut dough as desired.
Re-roll scraps to cut more shapes.
Bake for 6-7 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to sit on cookie sheet on a cooling rack for 2-3 minutes and then gently remove cookies from tray and allow to fully cool before icing.
- For best results, be sure to use room temperature eggs and butter.
- Re-roll sugar cookie dough scraps up to 3 times (refrigerating dough in-between if the dough becomes warm and squishy)
- If using sprinkles, it is best to put on the cut out cookies before baking.
- If icing these cut out cookies, let the cookies cool completely before icing.
- Sugar Cookies will keep in an air tight container for 5 days. Be sure to store in the refrigerator if cookies are iced and let them come to room temperature before enjoying for best taste.
- To Freeze Baked Cut-Out Cookies, allow cookies to cool fully and then place into sturdy freezer safe container and freeze for 2 months.
- To Freeze Sugar Cookie Dough, Place dough on parchment paper in flattened rounds. Place the dough into a freezer safe bag and tightly seal. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the dough out in the fridge the night before baking. And then roll out and bake as directed.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 108kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 83mg | Potassium: 29mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 160IU | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.2mg