Honey Whole Wheat Bread
This is an EASY recipe for 100% whole wheat bread your family will fall in love with. Directions for making whole wheat bread in bread machine and in oven.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Rising Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 24 (2 pound loaf)
- 4 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour or 576 grams of flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp gluten optional
- 2 tsp kosher salt see note
- 1 Tbs yeast
Bread Machine Version
Start by adding water into the loaf pan fitted in the bread machine. Measure the oil first and then the honey (this makes the honey slip out of the measuring cup) and add to water. Add half the flour, then salt and vital wheat gluten. Add remaining flour.
Make a small well in flour and put yeast into that well.
Set to manufacturer's instructions for wheat bread and light crust and let it go.
Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let sit for 5 minutes, or until mixture gets creamy and a bit bubbly.
In a bowl fitted for a stand mixer, mix together salt, vital wheat gluten and 3 cups of the flour.
Add the oil and honey to water mixture.
Make a well in flour mixture and pour in the water mixture. Blend on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in an additional 3/4 cup to 1 1/2 cups flour, until dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
Turn out unto floured work surface. Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, fit the stand mixer with a dough hook and knead on medium-low speed for 5-6 minutes, or until dough is elastic and not sticky to the touch.
Place dough in oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled.
Once doubled, punch dough down and shape as desired a 9x5 pan (2 pound loaf pan), cover with a towel or plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled again.
Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until your bread reaches an internal temperature of 190 degrees or sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom of the loaf.
- 3 cups whole wheat berries grinds up to 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour. Or grind up 576 grams of whole wheat berries to equal 4 1/2 cups of flour.
- Be sure to use dry active yeast, not quick rise yeast
- Wheat Gluten will help your bread rise and stay fluffy.
- Be sure your water is not too hot (over 115 degrees), as that can kill the yeast.
- Measure flour by placing spoonfuls of flour into measuring cup verses filling from bag or container. You can also weigh your flour for the most accurate calculation. For this recipe you will need 576 grams.
- Be sure you don't put your salt directly where your yeast is, as that can kill the yeast as well.
- If you are using table salt, reduce to 1.5 teaspoons.
- For 2 (1 pound) loaves. Divide your bread dough evenly and place into a 7x4 pan (1 pound loaf pan) which may be harder to find. Allow to double in size and then bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.9mg