Insalta Caprese, or Tomato and Mozzarella Salad is a simple summer salad made with vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh mozzaella and basil.
Prep Time5 mins
Total Time5 mins
- 4 large vine-ripened or heirloom tomatoes sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 15-20 basil leaves sliced into ribbons
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher/sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic reduction optional
Generously sprinkle sliced tomatoes with salt.
Arrange tomatoes and mozzarella on platter in alternating and overlapping pattern.
Either tuck whole leaves of basil in between layers of tomatoes or sprinkle salad with the ribbons of basil.
Drizzle the salad evenly with extra virgin olive oil.
Sprinkle with small pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Drizzle with balsamic glaze if using.
Serve immediately or within one hour of preparation.
- Beefsteak, vine-ripened, or heirloom tomatoes are all great for this Tomato and Mozzarella Salad.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 364mg | Potassium: 446mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1840IU | Vitamin C: 23.4mg | Calcium: 305mg | Iron: 0.8mg