Whole Wheat Dutch Baby Pancake
A traditional German oven baked pancake made with whole wheat flour. This Dutch Baby pancake crisps up around the edges and magically puffs up in the middle for a delicious version of a pancake.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat your oven 425 degrees.
Put 1 tablespoon in an 10 inch oven safe skillet, and stick into the oven, just long enough for the butter to melt. Remove skillet from the oven.
Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the microwave and let cool slightly.
Place wheat, eggs, vanilla, milk, salt, cinnamon, sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and baking powder into the blender and blend into smooth.
Pour the pancake batter into the skillet. Return to oven for 20-25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean.)
Serve Dutch Baby with a dusting of powdered sugar, fresh fruit and maple syrup.
Remove the oven pancake from the skillet unto a serving plate or cutting board and let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
- Pastry whole wheat flour, or white wheat flour work the best to keep this oven pancake light but still full of whole grains.
- Feel free to use regular all-purpose flour in place of whole wheat flour for this easy Oven Baked Dutch Baby.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 393mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 470IU | Vitamin C: 5.1mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 0.8mg