A traditional German Oven Baked Pancake made with whole wheat flour, for a whole grain version of a Dutch Baby Pancake. This oven baked pancake crisps up around the edges and magically puffs up in the middle for a delicious, buttery pancake!
Dutch Baby Pancake
A Dutch Baby Pancake is also referred to as a German Pancake, but it really is an American recipe. According to Wikipedia, German pancakes were inspired by German Pfannkuchen–a crispy egg based pancake fried in butter.
In my book, these eggy oven baked pancakes are a perfect compromise between crispy waffles and tender pancakes.
My version of this Oven Baked Pancake is whole wheat–for a whole grain spin on a classic. This recipe requires less whole wheat flour than traditional flour and does not puff up quite as large as a Dutch Baby made with refined flour, but it is still just as tasty.
How To Make Dutch Oven Pancake
With just a few ingredients and 5 minutes of prep, breakfast is done and is ever so delicious!
Step One: Prepare Skillet
- Place an oven safe skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter into a preheated oven for about 5 minutes, to melt butter.
- Remove skillet from oven.
Step Two: Blend Pancake Batter
- Melt an additional 1 tablespoon of butter and let cool slightly.
- Place eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, sugar, and baking powder in the blender and blend until well combined.
- Add in the remaining tablespoon of butter (that has been cooled slightly at this point) and blend again until the batter is well combined.
Step Three: Bake Pancake
- Pour the blended pancake batter into the preheated skillet and return the skillet back to the oven.
- Let the dutch baby pancake bake fro 20-25 minutes. The oven pancake will puff up as it cooks, so try to leave the oven closed until the bake time is complete, to the pancake rise as it should.
Step Four: Serve Dutch Baby Pancake
- The Dutch Oven Pancake will deflate as it sits, which don’t worry, it will still be delicious!
- Serve warm with a dusting of powdered sugar, fruit and maple syrup.
- Pro Tip: After removing the pancake from the oven, immediately slide it out unto a serving platter or cutting board to keep the bottom of the pancake crisp.
Which skillet is best to make German Oven Pancake?
It is crucial to use a 10 inch oven safe skillet when cooking an oven pancake. As the German pancake is cooked in a 425 degree oven, you need to ensure the skillet can handle that high heat. I love to use a stainless steel skillet or cast iron skillet. I do not recommend a nonstick skillet at this high temperature.
More Pancake Recipes
- Strawberry Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Pancakes
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
- Banana Oat Pancakes
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes
Whole Wheat Dutch Baby Pancake
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven 425 degrees.
- Put 1 tablespoon in an 10 inch oven safe skillet, and stick into the oven, just long enough for the butter to melt. Remove skillet from the oven.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the microwave and let cool slightly.
- Place wheat, eggs, vanilla, milk, salt, cinnamon, sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and baking powder into the blender and blend into smooth.
- Pour the pancake batter into the skillet. Return to oven for 20-25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean.)
- Serve Dutch Baby with a dusting of powdered sugar, fresh fruit and maple syrup.
- Remove the oven pancake from the skillet unto a serving plate or cutting board and let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
- Pastry whole wheat flour, or white wheat flour work the best to keep this oven pancake light but still full of whole grains.
- Feel free to use regular all-purpose flour in place of whole wheat flour for this easy Oven Baked Dutch Baby.
Latest posts by Kristen Chidsey (see all)
- Easy Mulled Wine - November 21, 2019
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Sweet Potatoes - November 20, 2019
- Orange Glazed Carrots - November 19, 2019