This is the best recipe for traditional French Toast! Thick bread is soaked in a perfectly sweet egg custard and pan fried to perfection.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 slices
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup half and half or other dairy
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup plus more for serving
- dash salt
- 8 thick slices bread
Prepare the Egg Custard
Whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and a dash of salt together until well combined.
Dip the Bread into Egg Custard
Slice bread into 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick slices.
Dip the bread into the egg custard on each side, about 5-10 seconds per side.
Remove bread from custard and shake off excess.
Pan Fry the French Toast
Heat a skillet over medium heat.
Add 1-2 teaspoon butter to the skillet and let melt to coat bottom of skillet evenly.
Place French Toast in skillet and pan fry until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes on the opposite side.
Remove from skillet and place browned French Toast on baking sheet.
Repeat the process, adding butter in between each batch of french toast.
Finish French Toast in Oven
- Feel free to use any milk or cream that you desire. Half and half gives the egg custard a more rich luxurious taste, while skim milk does not provide as much flavor to the custard.
- Use pure vanilla extract for the richest, purest vanilla flavor in this French Toast. Be sure to not allow the bread to soak too long in the custard. This will result in soggy bread that will fall apart and not be able to be pan fried.
- Use Gluten-Free Bread for Gluten Free French Toast.
- Granulated sugar can be substituted for the maple syrup in the egg custard, but the maple flavor adds terrific flavor to this French Toast recipe.
- It is NOT necessary to finish the French Toast in the oven, but I find this step ensures that the egg custard is fully cooked and the french toast is fluffy, not at all soggy. If not finishing in the oven, cook for 1-2 minutes longer per side, being careful to not burn french toast.
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 193mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1.5mg