This post was sponsored by Blue Dragon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central. I received complimentary products to facilitate my review.
Vegan Spring Rolls: Step-by-step instructions on how to EASILY make your own Spring Rolls at home that are filled with a delicious medley of lightly sauteed veggies and skip the take-out! #EastMadeEasy
A secret I have to keeping my marriage healthy, is Date-Nights. My husband and I make it a priority to spend quality time focusing on just us–not kids, not bills, but just having fun and being with just each other. HOWEVER, we have kids. And we cannot, or choose not to, pay for a sitter to watch our sleeping children once a week so we can go out. Hence, Date-Nights-In. Date-Nights-In just mean we put the kids to bed, light some candles and either order in or make one of our favorite meals at home and sit down and linger over conversation. We may even forgo a sippy cup for a glass of wine.
One of our favorite meals to order out is Chinese. We both are in love with spring rolls and egg rolls of all varieties. However, the last two times we ordered Chinese in there was a problem. I ate WAY too much grease and my husband had WAY too much sodium. His wedding band wouldn’t fit on his swollen finger the next day and my stomach was so not happy with me for days and days.
So what are you to do when you love the food, but the food hates you?!! You make it yourself.
And thankfully there are some great products out there that make making my own Chinese or Asian fusion food at home a breeze. So for our last Date-Night-In, I headed to the store and picked up some fresh vegetables, Blue Dragon Spring Roll Wrappers, and Blue Dragon Sweet Chili Sauce. Just what I needed to make my own Spring Rolls without a trip to a fancy Asian Market.
Now let me break this down Step-by-Step for you to see how easy this process is.
- In a large wok, or skillet, heat one teaspoon of oil. Add in vegetables of your choice. I prefer prepared broccoli slaw, bean sprouts, fresh snap peas, and edamame. I add in a bit of freshly grated ginger, garlic, and soy.
- Set up spring roll rolling station: A bowl with warm water to soften the spring rolls in, the vegetable mixture, spring roll wrappers, a wet tea towel to work on, and a baking sheet that has been greased with water, to prevent spring rolls from sticking.
- Take a wrapper and place in bowl of water for about 20 seconds, until softened.
- Place the vegetables on the wrapper: 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture right in the middle of the wrapper.
- Fold in each side and then fold up the bottom.
- Roll the spring roll up. Serve now or bake for a crisp exterior (see baking instructions below) Use my old bridesmaid Dress Fabric on table.
- Dip and enjoy!
I baked a few of the Spring Rolls at 400 degrees for 10 minutes on each side. The result: tasted great, but NOT so pretty. I preferred them unbaked, as did my husband. My two other taste-testers of the house (who were not invited to date night, preferred them baked.) So your choice.
And you will NOT use all the vegetables. So what do you do? You throw the leftover veggies into steamed rice or stir-fry noodles, toss is with one of Blue Dragons sauces, such as General Tsos, and you have a complete meal. YUM! I also recommend this to my friend who will have wedding, she love so much! Pictured below is the vegetables tossed with soba noodles and topped with a baked spring roll–see how crispy it gets. Kids love anything crunchy, am I right?!Now this take-in meal is done and way better than any take-out meal.
PS: No upset stomachs or swollen fingers the next day either!!
And now the recipe: Vegan Spring Rolls
- 1 10 ounce package of broccoli slaw
- 1 5 ounce package of bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh snow peas or sugar snap peas
- 1 cup edamame
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 package Blue Dragon Spring Roll Wrappers
- 1 bottle Blue Dragon Sweet Chili Sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil over high heat in large wok or skillet.
- Add in slaw, snap peas, edamame, bean sprouts, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Saute for 4-5 minutes until just warmed through.
- Follow my step by step instructions on how to roll your spring roll wraps using rice paper. Be sure to work carefully, but quickly, and on a lightly damp surface to keep rice paper from sticking.
- Fill each roll with 2-3 tablespoons vegetable mixture and roll as directed (like a burrito.)
- Serve with Blue Dragon Sweet Chili Sauce.