Stir-Fried Chicken and Bok Choy is an easy stir fry recipe that only requires 15 minutes to make! This Asian inspired main course stir-fry that is full of veggies and a sweet and spicy sauce. This dish is full of flavor, yet light on the waistline!
Stir-Fried Chicken and Bok Choy
Bok Choy is popular in Asian cuisine and is absolutely delicious when stir-fried.
Paired with chicken, carrots and a slightly sweet and savory sauce, this Bok Choy Stir Fry, is one easy meal that packs in a lot of nutrition and flavor!l
What is Bok Choy?
- Bok choy is a member of the cabbage family and is has high amounts of nutrients, antioxidants, and Omega-3s.
- It is high in fiber and low in calories. (9 calories per cup!!)
- Bok Choy is especially rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K.
- For a vegetable, it is a great source of calcium, folate, and magnesium as well.
Bottom line–bok choy just tastes good and is versatile. It is tasty raw and great sautéed or stir-fried. Grilled bok choy is fabulous as well. But if you can not locate in your store, feel free to use napa cabbage in place of the bok choy.
Ingredients for Bok Choy Stir Fry
- Chicken--boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Bok Choy
- Green Onions
- Sesame Seeds–for crunch
- Stir Fry Sauce
- Oil–cooking oil with high smoke point like sesame, coconut oil or canola oil.
Note if Using Sesame Oil: Be sure to use LIGHT sesame oil instead of dark sesame oil for this stir-fry–also be sure your sesame oil does not smell rancid before using and store sesame oil in the refrigerator to keep fresh.
Ingredients for Stir Fry Sauce
- Honey– Maple Syrup or brown sugar can be used in place of honey if desired.
- Ginger–freshly grated ginger, NOT powdered ginger
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Soy Sauce–Be sure to use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to keep this stir-fry gluten free.
How to Make Chicken and Bok Choy Stir Fry
Step One: Make the Stir-Fry Sauce
- Mix together honey, garlic, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar together.
Step Two: Saute the Chicken and Vegetables
- Using an oil that has a high smoke point, like sesame oil, coconut oil, or canola oil, saute the chicken over medium-high heat until just browned.
- Add in the bok choy and other vegetables and saute until crisp tender.
- Add in the simple 5 ingredient stir fry sauce and stir it all up.
We all loved this bok choy recipe. So next time you are out and see bok choy, grab it and get cooking. In 15 minutes, you will have a tasty dinner that is good for you and easy to prepare.
More 15 Minute Dinner Options
- 15 Minute Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- Honey Lemon Chicken Skillet
- Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
- Easy Vegetable Fried Rice
Stir-Fried Chicken and Bok Choy
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic grated or minced finely
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- For the Stir-Fry:
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 head of bok choy washed and cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 large carrots peeled in strips or 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 5-6 green onions diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro if desired
- Stir together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add in chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add in bok choy, carrots, green onions, and sesame seeds. Stir continuously for 3 minutes and then add in sauce. Cook until sauce has coated the chicken and vegetables and heated through.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro if desired.
- Be sure to use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to keep this gluten-free.
- Be sure to use LIGHT sesame oil instead of dark sesame oil for this stir-fry--also be sure your sesame oil does not smell rancid before using.
- Sesame oil needs to be kept in the refrigerator to remain fresh.