Creamy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice: The ULTIMATE comfort food recipe. Wholesome brown rice, cooked chicken, and lots of cheese all swimming in a decadent, yet healthier sauce. This chicken and rice casserole is one recipe that everyone loves.
Do you have a favorite family recipe?
My family’s all time favorite is Creamy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole. This chicken and rice casserole is easy, tastes extremely indulgent, and appeals to just about every palate–including children!!
Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Rice
I have to be honest, when I hear Chicken and Rice Casserole, I don’t get overly excited. This recipe is nothing exotic or spicy or fancy.
BUT every single time I make it my family grins ear to ear, and I have NEVER served this chicken and rice bake to ANYONE that didn’t love it.
That is why I am ALWAYS making a double batch and stashing one in the freezer–it cooks up perfectly from the freezer.
And trust me when I tell you Cheesy Chicken and Rice is the meal you should make for anyone who is craving comfort. It always delivers!
How to Make Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Prepare Casserole dish by lightly buttering.
- Melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour, chopped thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute to cook off raw flour taste.
- Slowly whisk in dry white wine (if using) and chicken stock, whisking continuously.
- Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in cheese until melted.
- Stir in cooked rice and chicken.
- Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Top with additional cheddar cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.
Gluten Free Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Instead of making a rue with flour and butter, combine 2 Tablespoons cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons of the chicken broth together.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add the remaining chicken stock to the melted butter and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in the cornstarch mixture into the chicken stock.
- Then bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
- Follow remaining steps as stated.
Tips for Homemade Chicken and Rice Casserole:
- Make this casserole faster by stocking your freezer with homemade chicken stock, cooked chicken and even cooked rice. But feel free to use what you have: store-bought chicken stock, leftover rotisserie chicken, or chicken boiled and shredded.
- If you don’t have fresh thyme–do not worry!! It adds an extra layer of flavor that I enjoy, but is completely not necessary. 1 tsp of dried thyme works as well.
- White wine adds a rich depth of flavor to this chicken and rice casserole, but is not necessary, just replace with an additional 1/4 cup of chicken stock.
- If you would like to make Cheesy Chicken and Rice with Broccoli, simply add in 2 cups of chopped steamed broccoli to the casserole before baking.
- The recipe’s nutrition was calculated with the full amount of cheese (3 1/2 cups). I leave the cheese off the top often and it is still delicious. You can even reduce the butter by half and have the wonderful flavor real butter adds to a dish still. If you are dieting and need to watch your fat, save a few calories here and there by following those tips, but this is REAL food.
More Chicken and Rice Recipes
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken and Rice
- Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Skillet
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken and Rice
- Easy 30 Minute Orange Chicken with Rice
Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
Creamy and Cheesy Chicken and Rice
An easy chicken and rice recipe perfect for your family.
- 4 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 4 cups steamed brown rice 4 cups AFTER cooking This is 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional chicken stock
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Top with 1 1/2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese optional
- 1 Tbs fresh chopped thyme optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 2 quart or 9x13 baking sheet.
Melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Whisk in flour, chopped thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute to cook off raw flour taste.
Slowly pour in wine and chicken broth whisking continuously. Whisk until thick and nearly boiling.
Stir in cheese until melted then stir in cooked rice and chicken.
Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese, if desired, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.