Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs: This is the BEST way to make PERFECT hard boiled eggs. Eggs are cooked to perfection EVERY SINGLE TIME!
I will never forget my first Easter I spent away from my family.
We were living in Georgia at the time, and invited friends over for an Easter Egg hunt and Ham Dinner. While the ham and scalloped potatoes were delicious, the eggs were a complete disaster.
After coloring the eggs, our guests cracked a few open for a snack to find that they were not fully cooked!
But I used the same stove-top method for cooking hard boiled eggs that I had for years. That method worked MOST of the time, but clearly it was not fool-proof. And frankly, I became a bit fearful to ever cook hard boiled eggs again–well at least for company!
Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
By cooking eggs in my Instant Pot, I no longer have to worry about embarrassing accounts of under-cooked (or over-cooked) hard boiled eggs. Pressure cooked hard boiled eggs are FOOL-PROOF. You will have golden, set centers without green rings, and these hard boiled eggs peel like a dream!
Pressure Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs
5-5-5 Method for Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs
The perfect technique for cooking hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker is the 5-5-5 method.
- 5 minutes to come to pressure
- 5 minutes cook time
- 5 minutes natural release
But to really get PERFECTLY cooked hard boiled eggs that peel like a dream, I have added another step:
- 5 minutes in a water bath.
So really, the PERFECT method for hard boiled eggs is 5-5-5-5 method!
Which means in 20 minutes, you will have hard boiled eggs that peel perfectly and are perfectly set and bright yellow (no green rings here!!)
How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs in Pressure Cooker
- Place 1 cup of water in inner pot of pressure cooker (liquid is ALWAYS needed for the pressure cooker to be able to reach pressure.)
- Place eggs in egg rack or carefully on top of rack that the Instant Pot came with.
- Seal pressure cooker.
- Set cook time to 5 minutes (5 minutes on high pressure–push the manual button and adjust timer to 5 minutes)
- After cook time has elapsed, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes (I suggest setting a timer that will beep at 5 minutes so you don’t lose track of time. )
- Once 5 minutes has elapsed, release any remaining pressure in Instant Pot by using wooden spoon or kitchen towel to knock vent knob to vent position.
- Carefully, remove eggs from pressure cooker and place in ice bath. Eggs are VERY hot, so use pot holder if you fingers aren’t made of steel!
- After eggs have been in ice bath for 5 minutes, remove eggs from ice bath.
- Peel and enjoy your PERFECT hard boiled eggs.
How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs are the easiest eggs to peel EVER!
- Once eggs have cooked and cooled in ice bath, crack them open by rolling on a kitchen counter.
- The peel will come right off–and will NOT take any egg white with it!
Storing Hard Boiled Eggs
- I find it is best to PEEL eggs before storing in the refrigerator.
- Once eggs are peeled, place in sealed container and store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
How Long are Hard Boiled Eggs Good For?
- Hard boiled eggs will keep for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
- Hard boiled eggs will last for up to 2 hours at room temperature. So be sure that Easter Bunny doesn’t leave the eggs hidden too long!
- Hard boiled eggs do not freeze well! Cooked egg whites will become rubbery.
- You can freeze the cooked egg yolks if desired.
- Place cooked yolks freezer bag
- freeze yolks up to 3 months
Are Fresh or Old Eggs Best for Hard Boiled Eggs?
Isn’t this an age old question?! While everyone has their theory, I can tell you I have tested older eggs and farm fresh eggs in my pressure cooker and both came out perfectly and peeled with the same ease.
Instant Pot Basic Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts (Fresh or Frozen)
- Instant Pot Yogurt
- Instant Pot Quinoa
- Instant Pot Beans
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Egg Recipe
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
Using this 5-5-5 method will guarantee perfect hard boiled eggs EVERY single time!
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup water
Place 1 cup water in inner pot of Instant Pot.
Add in egg or steam rack and carefully set as many eggs as desired on or in rack.
Place lid on pressure cooker and set for cook time for 5 minutes on high pressure.
Once cook time has elapsed, let pressure release for 5 minutes. Then do a quick release and carefully remove eggs from Instant Pot and place in ice water bath.
Let eggs sit in water bath for 5 minutes.
Remove eggs from water bath.
Crack egg on counter top and remove shell.
Store in fridge for up to 7 days.
- You can use as few as 1 egg and up to 16 eggs in a 6 quart pressure cooker.
- I find it is best to peel eggs right from water bath, the shell comes off beautifully every single time.
To Make Hard Boiled Eggs in Pressure Cooker, You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!