3 Ingredient Taco Meat and 4 Ways to Use It: 3 simple ingredients and 15 minutes is all you need to whip up homemade taco meat. This recipe for taco meat is sure to become a family staple in your house and the base for fabulous family meals. Also includes step-by-step instructions to freeze leftover taco meat without freezer burn!
I am one busy lady.
Oh wait, you are busy too?
Yes, we are ALL busy these days aren’t we?
How I live for the weekends, when life seems to slow down and I can relax.
But during the week, there is school, work, art class, sports practice, laundry, play dates, homework, homework battles, running a household, more laundry, etc.
Oh, and lots of hungry mouths to feed–multiple times a day! You get the idea.
But even on busy nights, family dinner is essential in my routine.
Of course, I prefer us all gathered around the table and eating together, but even when that is not possible, everyone has to eat.
So in order to keep myself sane, I like to minimize my time in the kitchen with time efficient recipes that can be stretched into several meals–hence why I have a huge collection of Easy Healthy 30 Minute Family Meals.
And I love tacos, because they are quick and easy meal.
One of my go-tos is an easy taco meat recipe that can be used in many different ways so that I can create several meals out of ONE recipe–like I do with my leftover Rotisserie Chicken recipes and Leftover Ham Recipes.
3 Ingredient Taco Meat
First start by making this simple Taco Meat.
To make taco meat you only need three ingredients and 15 minutes! I mean that is pretty awesome, isn’t it?
But let me give you some advice–double, better yet triple, this recipe and freeze for the base for an easy dinner ready and waiting for you! And I will show you how to freeze the meat safely at the end of the post!
Once you have the 3 Ingredient Taco Meat ready, the options are endless.
Ways to use Leftover Taco Meat:
My dinner routine is so much easier when I can make a large batch of something, like homemade taco meat, and use it for several different meals.
A few of my favorite ways to use leftover Taco Meat:
Taco Meat for Tacos or Burritos:
Of course taco meat is most used for tacos or burritos. Simply top tortillas or hard taco shells with taco meat and top with cheese and lettuce–or any of your favorite taco toppings.
Make a simple taco salad by starting with a base of lettuce then topping with taco meat, diced tomatoes, olives, onions, corn, cheese and of course some tortilla chips
Spread out tortilla chips (or homemade sweet potato chips) and top with this recipe for taco meat and cheese. Melt for 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven and then top with all the fresh toppings.
Want to make Slow Cooker Taco Meat?
If you want to make slow cooker taco meat, brown the meat and place in slow cooker along with diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Add in one cup of water and cook on low for 4 hours. Slow cooker taco meat will have a much more developed flavor but the stove top version is just as delicious!
Want to use Frozen Meat to make Taco Meat?
A lot of people ask me how to make taco meat using frozen ground beef or frozen ground chicken or turkey. I do not recommend try to cook frozen meat in a skillet or defrost in a microwave. However, you can cook frozen meat in your instant pot for Instant Pot Taco Meat.
Once you have followed my directions for Instant Pot Frozen Ground Meat, release pressure, drain fat and then turn Instant Pot to saute function. Add in seasonings and diced tomatoes with chiles and break up meat and cook for 5 minutes or until warmed through. Serve as desired.
A more few important tips about making the best homemade taco meat:
- I love to use ground sirloin for a lean, low fat taco meat, but you can use ground turkey, ground chicken, ground pork or shredded cooked chicken for this taco meat recipe.
- A great money saving tip for making this taco meat recipe is to mix in 2 cups of pinto beans or black beans to bulk up the taco meat. By adding beans you not only are able to use less meat, but you add fiber to the dish as well.
- Want to make authentic restaurant taco meat? A great hack I have is cook the taco meat as directed and then pulse lightly in the food processor for a finer texter of taco meat. My husband swears my taco meat recipe resembles taco bell taco meat when I do that. Maybe in texture–but my recipe for taco meat tastes a lot better AND is better for you!
- Be sure to check the label on your canned diced tomatoes and chiles as brand are all different, but most are gluten-free, whole 30 and paleo compliant. And since you are using my homemade taco seasoning, this homemade taco meat would therefore be gluten-free, whole 30 and paleo.
How to Freeze Cooked Meat to Prevent Freezer Burn
- Double or triple recipe for taco meat.
- Allow meat to cool completely.
- Portion taco meat out into 1 pound or 1/2 pound servings.
- Place each portion into a freezer safe storage bag. Squeeze out excess air from bag and seal until only a small opening remains.
- Place a straw into the small opening, being sure the bag is sealed around the straw. Suck air out of bag through the straw and watch the bag collapse around meat mixture.
- Remove straw and seal quickly.
- Don’t forget to label the bag!
- Store in the freezer for 3 months.
- To Thaw, place in refrigerator night before needed and reheat in microwave safe dish. You can also thaw in the microwave, but a slow thaw is better.
And now you are ready to make any of my favorite meals using 3 Ingredient Taco Meat any night of the week!
Homemade Taco Meat Recipe:
3 Ingredient Taco Meat
An easy recipe for homemade taco meat. Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Directions included.
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles mild
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 pound of lean ground sirloin or ground chicken, turkey or pork
Brown up the ground sirloin over medium-high heat, crumbling the beef up into small chunks. Once completely browned, drain off any excess fat and blot with a paper towel to get any residual grease.
Return meat to heat and add in tomatoes and taco seasoning and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Serve as desired or cool completely and freeze accordingly.
- Slow cooker taco meat: brown the meat and place in slow cooker along with diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Add in one cup of water and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Instant Pot Taco Meat: follow my directions for Instant Pot Frozen or Fresh Ground Meat, release pressure, drain fat and then turn Instant Pot to saute function. Add in seasonings and diced tomatoes with chiles and break up meat and cook for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
If you liked this 15 Minute Taco Recipe, here are more 15 minute Recipes
This post has been featured on Meal Plan Monday.