Instant Pot Pot Roast: An amazingly tender and flavorful pot roast all made in the pressure cooker. Served with potatoes and carrots, this is sure to be a family favorite.
I grew up with family dinners every Sunday at my grandparent’s house. And my papa was known for his Slow Cooker Pot Roast.
His secret ingredient to making the BEST pot roast was prepared horseradish. Not only does the horseradish work to tenderize the pot roast, it also helps to make it incredibly flavorful–so much better than any other pot roast I have ever had.
Instant Pot Pot Roast
I decided to turn my Slow Cooker Pot Roast into Pressure Cooker Pot Roast.
This method for cooking pot roast is every bit as delicious as the original method, but take a fraction of the time. Not to mention, you can use a frozen beef roast, which is a big no-no when cooking in the slow cooker.
How To Make Pot Roast in Pressure Cooker
Step One: Sear Roast
- To sear meat in your instant pot, turn your pressure cooker to Saute and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Wait until your pressure cooker reads Hot.
- Sear roast 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Be sure to scrap up any browned bits on bottom of your inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you won’t get a burn notice.
Step Two: Add beef broth and seasonings
Step Three: Cook Pot Roast
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes per pound. (60 minutes for a 3 pound roast).
Step Four: Let Pressure Release
- Let pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes.
Step Five: Serve Pot Roast
- Slice or shred your pot roast and serve with cooking juices.
Instant Pot Frozen Pot Roast
If your roast is frozen when you want to prepare a Pot Roast, do not worry. You can cook your frozen roast right in the Instant Pot.
- Skip searing the meat.
- Place frozen beef roast, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder inside the pressure cooker.
- Pour in beef stock around the roast.
- Add in horseradish.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes per pound (instead of 20 minutes per pound.) For a 3 pound roast that would be 90 minutes.
When do you add Potatoes and Carrots?
For a complete meal, potatoes and carrots always pair perfectly with a tender pot roast.
I do not recommend cooking small potato chunks or baby carrots the entire time you cook your pot roast, as your vegetables will turn to mush.
- Cook your Pot Roast for 20 minutes LESS than total indicated time. So for a 3 pound fresh roast, cook on 40 minutes on high pressure .
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots to pressure cooker.
- Seal pressure cooker and cook for high on 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release for 10 minutes and then serve.
If you would like to skip the step of adding vegetables mid-cooking, add in large red potatoes and thick chunks of carrots and cook with the beef roast for the entire time allotted.
What is the best cut of meat for Pot Roast?
Because Pot Roast cooks for a longer period of time, it is the perfect time to use tougher cuts of beef.
The following make great cuts of beef for pot roast:
- Chuck Roast
- Round Roast
My favorite cut of beef is a chuck roast for pot roast.
More Instant Pot Comfort Food Recipes
- Pressure Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Lasagna
Instant Pot Roast Recipe
Instant Pot Pot Roast
A tender beef pot roast made in the pressure cooker with potatoes and carrots.
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1 3 lb chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 pounds potatoes quartered
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
Cooking a Fresh Pot Roast (Thawed)
Season roast with salt and pepper liberally.
Turn the pressure cooker to saute. Once hot, ad in the oil. Sear meat on all sides, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove meat from inner pot.
Pour in beef broth and scrape up any browned bits on bottom of instant pot.
Add roast back into pressure cooker, along with the onion powder, garlic and horseradish.
Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes per pound.
When the cook time has elapsed, allow for pressure to release for 10-20 minutes.
For Frozen Pot Roast
Place roast, beef broth, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic and horseradish in inner pot of pressure cooker.
Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes per pound.
When cook time has elapsed, allow for pressure to release for 10-20 minutes.
Pot Roast with Carrots and Potatoes
Sear the meat as directed if using a fresh roast.
Add remaining ingredients into pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes LESS than directions state (Cook for 40 minutes on high pressure for FRESH 3 pound Pot Roast or 70 minutes on high pressure for FROZEN 3 pound roast)
Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
Open instant pot and add in carrots and potatoes, seal pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
Allow pressure cooker to release for 10-20 minutes before releasing pressure and serving the pot roast.
To Make Pressure Cooker Pot Roast, You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!