Skillet Orange Chicken: Chicken is coated in a sweet and spicy citrus sauce, for a dinner that will make you drool. The best part?! In less than 30 minutes, you can make your favorite Chinese take-out meal at home.
Easy Orange Chicken
Orange Chicken happens to be one of my family’s favorite meals. It is not overly spicy and sweet which pleases the kids, but yet complex enough in flavors, adults love it as well. Plus being that I am able to pull this Orange Chicken off in less than 30 minutes, this mom is REALLY happy! I really love easy 30 minute meals!
Did I mention this meal is so much better tasting and better for you than any take-out you can get? As if you needed any more convincing than 25 minute family pleaser to make this dish!
Notes on Homemade Orange Chicken
- Serve this Healthy Orange Chicken over steamed rice, cauli-rice, or quinoa.
- Make this gluten-free Orange Chicken by using gluten free soy sauce.
- If you don’t want to use canola oil, use avocado, peanut of coconut oi. I don’t recommend using olive oil, as the flavor is too strong.
- Freeze any leftovers in individual size portions for a quick grab and go lunch!
- If you happen to have a pressure cooker, you MUST try my Instant Pot Orange Chicken.
Healthy Orange Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce Tamari for gluten free
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tbs fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 1 bunch of green onions chopped (optional)
- Combine the juice, zest, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, vinegar, ginger and cornstarch together and whisk until sugar dissolved.
- Heat 1 tbs canola oil in large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Once a drop of water sizzles in the oil, add the chicken to the oil, stirring constantly. After the chicken has been browned, 3-4 minutes, remove chicken to a large plate. Add the sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil. Turn to a simmer and return chicken to pan to finish cooking in the sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice or quinoa and garnish with green onion slices.