Antipasto Skewers are a simple, yet elegant appetizer that is perfect for any party! Made with fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, tortellini and served with a cheesy pesto sauce, this is one party appetizer that everyone loves.
These Tortellini Skewers only take minutes to whip up, yet are impressive enough for cocktail parties, festive enough for holiday parties, and light enough for summer gatherings. In fact, they are even delicious as a light lunch.
If you are looking for a perfect appetizer, these Antipasto Skewers are it.
They only take minutes to make, you can change up the ingredients based on what you have, and everyone loves them.
This simple appetizer that mimics the flavors of an Antipasto Platter only takes minutes to make and can be modified in countless ways. They remind me of a combination of an antipasto platter and Caprese salad--which happen to be two of the best creations ever. Fresh tomatoes, soft mozzarella, tender tortellini, and savory meat combine with pesto for a flavor combination that is loaded with flavor.
I am telling you, you will be the hit of the next party if you bring these Antipasto Skewers. And it can be our little secret how easy they are to make.
Notes on Ingredients
Take my recipe as inspiration and create your own spin on these Antipasto Skewers. Anything you like on an antipasto platter can be used for this appetizer. I like to mix and match textures and fresh and hearty items to create a balanced bite.
- Tortellini--I prefer cheese tortellini to not compete with the other flavors, but you can use any tortellini you like, and both fresh or frozen varieties works. Omit the tortellini altogether if you need a gluten-free or low-carb appetizer.
- Basil--If you don't happen to like basil or don't have it on hand, substitute the basil with fresh spinach leaves instead. I love how much color the greens bring to these skewers.
- Fresh Mozzarella--Mini mozzarella balls are absolutely divine on these skewers. They are creamy and pair perfectly with the tortellini, tomatoes, and pesto. However, you can use cubes of Mozzarella, Provolone, or Asiago if desired.
- Meat--Thin slices of salami, pepperoni, or prosciutto add heartiness and additional flavor. Of course, if you are meatless, omit the meat altogether. You can also prepare half of your skewers with meat and half without for a party, so meat-eaters and vegetarians can both enjoy.
- Optional Add-Ons--Things like Kalamative olives, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and/or pepperoncini are all great options for these skewers.
- Prepare the tortellini according to package instructions.
- To give our appetizer more flavor and to keep the tortellini from getting gummy or sticky, toss the cooked tortellini with a bit of prepared pesto after cooking.
- At this point, allow the tortellini to cool to room temperature before preparing the appetizer skewers.
- Once the tortellini is cooled, thread the ingredients on the skewers in an alternating pattern.
- Serve with additional pesto if desired.
Recipe Tips and Modifications
- Preparing in Advance: Tortellini Skewers can be assembled and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before serving. Any longer than that, the basil will begin to brown. Be sure to store the prepared appetizer in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Serve cold, directly from the refrigerator.
- If you don't like pesto, toss the tortellini with a bit of olive oil or Balsamic Salad Dressing instead of pesto.
- You can use 4, 6, or 8-inch skewers for assembling.
More Holiday Appetizers
Pair these Tortellini Skewers with a combination of the following appetizers for a spread that everyone will rave about
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Texas Caviar
- Baked Sauerkraut Balls
- Italian Meatballs
- Greek Pinwheels
If you enjoyed this recipe for Antipasto Skewers, I would love for you to love a comment below.
- 20 ounces cheese tortellini fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup prepared pesto plus additional for serving if desired
- 24 grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 24 mini fresh mozzarella balls
- 48 spinach or basil leaves
- 24 slices pepperoni
- 24 Kalamative olives
- 24 Artichoke Hearts
- Prepare tortellini according to package directions and drain well.
- Toss cooked tortellini with prepared pesto.
- Skewer the tortellini onto mini cocktail skewers along with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and pepperoni, and any other additional ingredients your family enjoys.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 days until ready to serve or serve warm immediately.
- Serve with additional pesto if desired.
- You can use fresh or frozen cheese tortellini.
- Use 4, 6, or 8 inch skewers. I prefer 6 inch skewers for appetizer.
- If you don't care for pesto, simply toss your prepared tortellini with a bit of olive oil after cooking.
- You can use spinach leaves or basil leaves on these Caprese Skewers. I personally prefer spinach to a large basil leaf.
- Salami, pepperoni, or prosciutto are all good options to use on your skewers or you can omit the meat altogether for a meatless appetizer.
- Feel free to add kalamative olives, pepperoncini peppers, or artichoke hearts to these skewers if you like.
- These tortellini skewers are safe to keep at room temperature for 2 hours.
This post was originally published in December 2018 but has been updated in December 2020 with new tips and a video.