There is a legend behind these Neiman Marcus Cookies! It is rumored that the recipe for these triple chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with blended walnuts was sold for $250! After one bite, you will believe these Neiman Marcus Cookies are worth the price!
I wanted to kick of the Christmas baking with a bang with my all time favorite cookie, the Neiman Marcus Cookie!
There is nothing better than a freshly baked cookie that is oozing chocolate right from the oven.
And this chocolate chip cookie, well let’s just say it has a bit of a story behind it that makes it worth quite a bit of loot.
I am sure several of you have heard the infamous story of how a women at a famous department store begged for a recipe of a baked good she had eaten at their cafe, only to receive a bill in the vicinity of $250. She expressed her anger for this rather large bill by sharing the recipe with anybody and everybody.
Is the legend true? I doubt it, but I will say this recipe for Neiman Marcus cookies is DELICIOUS and a must have chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Neiman Marcus Cookies
Move aside chocolate chip cookies–there is a new player in town and this Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie came to give every soul the dose of chocolate they crave and desire.
This Neiman Marcus cookie recipe is a little bit of this and a whole lot of that, for one irresistible cookie that is soft, chewy, and filled with chocolate.
Neiman Marcus Cookie Ingredients
The ingredients that make this legendary chocolate chip cookie stand out are:
- Blended oats–for a hearty taste and slightly chewy texture
- Blended nuts–for a nutty taste without huge chunks of nuts
- Chocolate–3 kinds for an ultimate chocolate chip cookie recipe
- Grated chocolate bar
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Milk chocolate chips
- Butter–what is a cookie without pure, rich butter?!
How to Make Neiman Marcus Cookies
Mix together blended oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, blended nuts, and chocolate together in large mixing bowl.
In separate large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars together.
Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat until creamy.
Slowly mix in dry ingredients into creamed sugars.
Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
Roll cookies into even balls.
Bake until just set.
Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.
Remove to cooling rack.
How to Soften Cold Butter
Almost all cookies start with room temperature butter. But what do you do if your butter is ice cold and you want that cookie NOW?
Use your microwave? NO NO NO!!!
- Unwrap your butter, place in large bowl.
- Nestle the large bowl over a smaller bowl that is filled with hot tap water.
- Let the butter sit out while you gather ingredients and magically room temperature butter.
I am like a Christmas elf, spreading cheer and tips for cookies 🙂
Blending Oats to make Homemade Oat Flour
This recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of blended oatmeal–which is basically oat flour.
To make oat flour:
- Place oats into blender and whirl away until a powdery substance forms.
- The important part of this is to measure the oats AFTER you blend them, not before–baking is a science.
This recipe also calls for 1 1/2 cup blended nuts.
- Place nuts in blender and pulse until small chunks of nuts remain.
- If you like the crunch of chopped nuts, instead of blended nuts, in your cookie, use
Grating Chocolate Bars
I know, I know…so many ingredients. But that is why these cookies are so darn GOOD!!
To grate chocolate, use 4 oz of your favorite chocolate bar.
- Be sure your chocolate is cold.
- You can use a hand grater, box grater, or food processor and grate chocolate bar into small shreds.
- Pro Tip: Use food processor to blend oats, blend nuts and grate chocolate bars to cut down on dishes.
Tips to Store Chocolate Chip Cookies
My family adores these cookies and we are asked to bring them to just about every event we attend the Holiday Season. But they are best freshly baked–aren’t ALL cookies?!
In order to have these cookies freshly baked all through the season with ease, I freeze the cookie dough.
How to Freeze Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Dough
- Make a large batch of cookie dough.
- Roll them into 1 1/2 tablespoon size balls
- Place them on wax paper/parchment paper lined rimmed trays and freeze for 1 hour.
- Transfer the balls to a freezer safe storage bag.
- When wanting to eat, bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes directly from freezer.
Expert Tips for making the best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature to ensure even mixing of cookie dough.
- Butter should be soft to the touch.
- Eggs should not feel cold to to touch.
- Be sure to refrigerate batter after blending together.
- This allows the butter in the chocolate chip cookie batter to get cold which will let your cookie rise and be fluffy, instead of having a flat cookie.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 48 hours.
- Be sure all cookies are uniform in size.
- Use 1 1/2 tablespoons for each cookie. Roll into even ball.
- Alternatively you can use an 18/8, or #40 cookie scoop.
- Preheat oven fully.
- Allow your oven to be preheated to correct temperature to let cookie bake properly.
- Do not over bake cookies.
- Bake until center is JUST set, and lightly browned.
- Cookies will continue to bake on cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes after they are removed from oven.
- Cool on cookie baking rack.
- After 2 minutes, remove cookies from baking sheet and let cool on cooling rack.
- Bake on nonstick cookie sheets or use parchment paper to ensure cookies will not stick to pan.
If you liked these Neiman Marcus Cookies, you may also like
- The Best Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
- The Best Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies
- Soft Peanut Butter Cookies from Live Well, Bake Often
Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe
Neiman Marcus Cookies
A triple chocolate chip cookies with blended oatmeal and blended nuts for an out of this world chocolate chip cookie.
- 2 1/2 cups blended oats see tip
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 oz dark chocolate chips
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz milk chocolate candy bar grated
- 1 1/2 cups nuts blended (I use walnuts and pecans)
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Mix together the dry ingredients in large bowl. Toss the nuts and chocolates with the dry ingredients to lightly coat with flour (this keeps the goodies evenly distributed in the batter. )
In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together until fluffy and light in color--about 7-8 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
Stir the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients until just combined.
Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Using 1 1/2 tablespoons for each cookie, roll into a ball.
Bake for 6-7 minutes, until edges are lightly browning and centers are still a bit jiggly. Cool on cookie sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a cooling rack.
To Make Neiman Marcus Cookies, you may need:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!