Transform a simple sugar cookie into a reindeer cookie with 3 easy steps for a festive Christmas Cut Out Cookie.
What is it about the Holidays, that cause the majority of us to put on aprons and make cookies by the dozen?
I am really not sure and I really do not care what started this baking phenomenon, as it is one of my most favorite things to do with my family and friends during the month of December.
I spend days in the kitchen making my MUST have Christmas Cookies–Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Cookies, $250 Neiman Marcus Cookies, Gingerbread Snickerdoodles, DIY Thin Mints and DIY Tagalongs, and I always seem to add a few each year to this list.
One tradition that my kids adore, is making sugar cookies. They love the entire process–from mixing the dough, to rolling the dough, to decorating the cookies. And of course EATING the cookies.
A must have Christmas Cut Out Sugar Cookie at my house is Reindeer Cookies!
Simple sugar cookie dough is transformed into holiday magic with a few simple steps and a delicious chocolate frosting.
How to Make Reindeer Cookies from Sugar Cookie Dough
- Make Sugar Cookie Dough as directed.
- Use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out dough.
- Bake as directed.
- Make the chocolate cream cheese icing and place into a piping bag (or like myself–put into a large Ziploc bag and snip off a tiny corner to use as a piping bag–that can be thrown away when you are done. NO MESS.)
- Pipe out a circle on the gingerbread’s head with the chocolate icing (think of the gingerbread men’s arms and legs as the antlers of the reindeer.)
- Add a red candy for the nose (or brown candy for a regular reindeer.)
- Add 2 white chocolate chips for the eyes.
- Pipe on melted chocolate for the antlers and pupils for the eyes.
Let set up in the fridge or grab a glass of milk and eat Rudolph.
I can guarantee these Reindeer Cookies will become a Christmas tradition at your house, just as they are at mine!
My Tips on Reindeer Cookies
- Save Halloween Candy, like M&Ms to use for brown and red “noses” on your Reindeer Sugar Cookies.
- The chocolate cream cheese frosting is a nice contrast to the piped chocolate and is rich and full of delicious flavor, but you can use melted chocolate to decorate the head of the reindeer as well.
- Melt your chocolate by placing chopped chocolate or chocolate chips in microwave for 30 second intervals until melted.
- Pipe out Rudolph’s Antlers by placing chocolate into a sandwich bag and cut off tip of bag and pipe out antlers.
- You can also use Candy Eyes in place of white chocolate chips.
More Christmas Cookies
- The Best Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Cookies
- The $250 Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Homemade Tagalong Cookies
Reindeer Cookie Recipe
Reindeer Sugar Cookies
Cut Out Cookies become Reindeer in a few simple steps.
- 1 recipe Sugar Cookie Dough
For the Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
For the Decorations
- 72 white chocolate chips
- 36 red or brown chocolate candies
- 1 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
For the Sugar Cookies
Prepare sugar cookie dough according to recipe.
Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick and using a gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out the dough.
Bake at 400 degrees for 6-7 minutes until lightly golden.
Once cookies have cooled decorate as Reindeer.
For the Frosting
Combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until completely smooth. Mix in the cocoa powde. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until thoroughly combined. Add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time to thin if necessary to create a smooth icing that can be spread easily on the cookies.
For Melted Chocolate (For Antlers and Eyes)
Melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals in mircrowave, stirring between each interval, until smooth and completely melted. Place melted chocolate into piping bag or sandwich bag to use for antlers on reindeer.
To Assemble Reindeer
Pipe out a circle on the gingerbread’s head with the chocolate icing (think of the gingerbread men’s arms and legs as the antlers of the reindeer.)
Add a red or brown candy for the nose.
Add 2 white chocolate chips for the eyes.
Pipe on melted chcoolate for the antlers and pupils for the eyes.
The decorations are for 1/2 the recipe for sugar cookie dough.
You can double the icing and amount of decorations to make about 6 dozen or use the remaining half of the sugar cookie dough to make various cut-out cookies. (Or cut the recipe in half or freeze the additional half of dough for up to 3 months to use at future date).